Small number plate.

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone out there use a small number plate on their GS?

If so do you have any recommendations on size, font, position, supplier, price etc.

Also, has anyone been pulled by plod for having one?

What is the fine? I heard it was £15 but no points on the licence.

Cheers.

Jon

:hapybnce:

Why bother ?
The back of the GS is huge, so a small plate is irrelevant.

For my 'blade, I use a 8*6 smoked plate from MAL (number in MCN) - it's Illegal, but has been checked by the police who haven't complained, and the build quality is great for under £10

number plate

I use a 7" x 5" on my GS, also from MAL (01933 273274) and it looks better than the bladdy great big one fitted from new, but is not so small that it is obviously illegal (although it is below the legal size)

Cost £8.99.... very efficient service

Wot?

Part of the joy of GS ownership is the lack of perceived need to buy a small number plate to either make the back end pretty or show off my big non-existent 190 section tyre.

Been and done it though on my sports bikes. Recommend MAL as suggested elsewhere but generally pleased to have a big numberplate to keep most of the crap off my top box. In fact I'm thinking of an Tour'ch extender for it.

If you do go ahead I suggest you take off that silly mudguard thing and go the whole hog (dare I say it) and put on R1100 sports tyres as seen elsewhere (and very smart too they are might I add).

Of course it could be that this addition is the last of a long line of worthwhile modifications you have already made to this initially flawed machine (see various threads that will keep you occupied for hours). If so I apologise. However, I think not. And if you had had a sports bike such as that mentioned above you will have already known that within reason the local constabulary have better things to do. Unless you live in Matlock by all accounts and read MCN to the point of abject paranoia.

Yours generally unimpressed

DVLA can cancel your registration

Having once been nicked for having a small plate on an RSV I can tell you that the fine is 20 quid. No points. BUT for repeated offences they can cancel your registration and force you to have a Q plate instead! Food for thought if you've invested in a personalised plate. To avoid provoking the law too much, go for a plate which has the same proportions as the legal one. It's not nearly as conspicuous as the letterbox style.

If attention seeking is your bag then...

I've always used Mal for plates though only because I always like a slogan on the plate (usually the bikes given name) and I hate dealers using my bike as a free advert!

Details:

MAL Numberplates
Unit 105 Leyland Trading Estate
Irthlingborough Road
Wellingborough
Northants
NN8 1RT
Tel - 01933 273274
Fax - 01933 273523

E-mail - admin@malplates.co.uk
Web: http://www.malplates.co.uk

Not having a small plate is one of the reasons my licence is and always has been clean - on the occasions I've been stopped I've played the game of sensible motorcyclists, all legal etc.

The more you've got in the way of naughties (small plate/loud can/dark visor/shorts/trainers etc.) the less-likely you are to get away with it just a telling-off.

Rode for 12 months with plate 6.5"x5.5" in full view of any police car and never stopped. But was stopped twice shortly afterwards - MOT producer with one in Hampshire and a £30 fine from a ccuunntt in the Met. Both within a month, decided to revert to the legal plate after the first one. The fine was a bit of a kicker as I already had the replacement on order.

There are some nice cops and some, well, you get the idea. And you won't know which one until they stop you.

City Slicker said:
Rode for 12 months with plate 6.5"x5.5" in full view of any police car and never stopped. But was stopped twice shortly afterwards - MOT producer with one in Hampshire and a £30 fine from a ccuunntt in the Met. Both within a month, decided to revert to the legal plate after the first one. The fine was a bit of a kicker as I already had the replacement on order.

There are some nice cops and some, well, you get the idea. And you won't know which one until they stop you.

...seems to me that there was only one **** in your story, Slick. The one who decided to fit an illegal plate & then whine about getting caught...

MikeO:p

City Slicker said:

Yeah but some people care about detail and others don't. Maybe the pernicity (that has to be spelt wrong, oh and it probably is a non-english word, hell can I help it if I had a culturally rich upbringing :)) one stopped you that day. All he/she did was follow the law.

So are you going to keep wearing the dark visor ? Or is that a stupid question ? Of course you are.

Wound up yet ?

Seriously thou bad luck. I have seen a few bikes owned by folks who work for the 'dark side' that have small number plates.

BTW : Tip to get off next time -- Wire the autocom to a PA system breath heavy, with a kinda rasping noise and well with the black gear and black visor they are bound to excuse you. For those who have not seen the cool setup City Slicker has I attach this picture of him in the gear ....

Boy hows about City Slicker in the Darth outfit mounted on the jud9es GS. That would be black on black. They would run not book ya.

Attachments

• covers.jpg
    covers.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 763
As previously said - small no. plates look crap on a GS - the bikes vast anyway, so why bother and it keeps the rack clean.
Small plates say to the Law - 'Chase-me' and when you have stopped me - you can check out me and my bike at your leisure to pick up any other minor infringements.
Why don't we get red or blue headlight guards - while we're on this subject, that'll look pretty on your Mandarin GS.

If you chose to ride with a small number plate and get caught and fined, you have no one else to blame but yourself.

As for confiscating the plate as evidence, they don't remove the wheels off vehicles and keep those as evidence, so why do it with number plates? Its effectively condoning a breach of the law by allowing you to ride without a number plate.

The issue of making you use a Q plate if caught enough times is suspect. The Q plate system is purely for registering vehicles that are of an indeterminate age. DVLA do have the power to remove a personal number plate and issue an ordinary one if the person is abusing the system and not using legal lettering and spacing and gets caught enough times though.

Bob

too good for 'em

small plate small ...........?

Big bike small plate that must be a bit Salvador Dali

I am now going to have a whisky, it may help me. Maybe not.
If you chose to ride with a small number plate and get caught and fined, you have no one else to blame but yourself.
In the words of M Python "nail 'em up"

MIKE OUGHTON said:

...seems to me that there was only one **** in your story, Slick. The one who decided to fit an illegal plate & then whine about getting caught...

I wasn't going to say this myself as I think no matter what the circumstances are, it does make you feel rotten for the whole day if you, for example, get a parking ticket or are flashed by the dreaded camera.

But thanks for pointing out how unsympathetic you are to what is a very minor infraction compared to the wholesale theft of bikes, burglaries and assaults on our streets.

As a way of saying thank you, please find attached a new avatar for you.

Minor infraction or not Eddie, its still an infraction. The way to avoid it is to have the normal size plate on the bike. The GS would look rather silly with a little one IMHO.

If you really want to have a go at the system, then the ever growing speed camera empire is the one to target. Or the scandal in Suffolk where they imposed a whole raft of 30mph speed limits that were previously nationals, but used the wrong legislation to impose them, rendering them unlawful. Could be 50000 people who will be due a refund of their fines for that one. Not to mention the possibility that other counties could be in the same boat too. More info on the Association of British Drivers website www.abd.org.uk .

Bob

It's a matter of taste as far as plates go, personally I thought that the bike looked neater without an overhanging plate - Bakerman's bike looks quite neat from the rear due to his narrow plate.

Before I got the plate made, perhaps for years I've been staring at some of the most amazing plates on all types of vehicles, graphics that make them practically unreadable, French-style plates on R1s (which look way cool) and all different shapes and sizes. I was amazed at how many people personalised them, and assumed that this was one law that the powers that be overlooked.

So it was a decision I took in full knowledge of the legislation but assuming that I, like the many others that had wierd plates would happily be ignored.

The expletive was there because at 7am in the morning some ignorant plod made me stand by the roadside on a cold winter morning for 5 minutes while he wrote a ticket in the comfort of his Landrover before even telling me why he had stopped me.

I'd wrongly assumed that anyone stopping me about the size of the plate would give me the opportunity to remove it, but discovered that this is not always the case.

No whingeing about being asked to remove it. In fact I mentioned my story only to help Johnshread make a decision when considering a fancy plate on the bike.

Thanks for the reply, Slick...

...perhaps you could help me out with one question?

1. You made a conscious decision to fit an illegal number plate.
2. You rode around like this for a year.
3. You got stopped and cautioned.
4. You continued to ride with the illegal number plate.
5. You got stopped and reported.
6. You complain that the second policeman is a **** for reporting you.

My question is : Exactly where did you expect the sympathy to come in?

May I suggest a new course of action?

1. Take responsibility for your own actions.
2. Get on with your life.

ps Excellent artwork - cheers:beerjug:

Exactly where in this post am I asking for you to pass me some Kleenex?

Yo've been wandering round the posts picking a fight for a couple of weeks. I know it's quet in Norfolk and that your girlfriend walked out on you but surely there are some more sheep in that field.

While you guys decide who is a .....

Will give MAL a call and ask for smaller number plate and new slogan which will read:

"Keep honking I am reloading."

Know it is not original but have a chuckle every time I read that.

So would it be fair to say that when the law stops me it will be my best explaining and answers with SA acsent to convince dear office but I really don't have a gun it was just a joke, ya kno wha I mean mate!

Cheers
:gringo

Back
Top Bottom