Soggy Shock

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The damping on the rear shock on my 1100GS has started to get erratic. I'm considering buying a Hagon rear shock with remote adjustment. Does anybody have experience of these shocks?

Dont know about Hagon but I have a spare rear shock in good condition, came off a crash bike, if you are interested.

spare shock

Colin,

What kind of shock do you have going spare? Is it an oem standard shock, or something like an Ohlin?

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

OEM
You cannot expect anyone to have OHLINS and not fit them!!!!!
But if somebody else has please get in touch with me first!!!!!!!
Regards

Hi simon
Any idea why simon had a ohlins front and a white power on the back didn't get a chance to ask him on sunday?

Has anybody asked about discount from motorworks Harris Performance Products Ltd etc
I would be interested in a pair of ohlins and i'm sure a few more
members with soggy shocks would be too.

mark

gauloises

I didn't realise Simon had a mixture of WP and Ohlin. I know there was some last minute fitting of the shocks slotted into the departure schedule by SPC, so I'm guessing that perhaps WP were what Simon's sponsers were offering. Hell I'll take a free WP shock if it's offered:D .

I had a chat with Motorworks this morning about getting involved with some type of sponserhip, with refernece to our planned trip next year. The response was good but naturally cautious. A number of organisations selling aftermarket parts are often in my experience reluctant to offer discounts to clubs, simply because they know we're going to buy the stuff anyway, that and the fact that if they offer discount to one club, they cant be seen to discriminate and therefor have to offer similiar discount to the rest.

I'll be speaking to Motorworks over the next few days so I'll ask them directly, who knows maybe the fact that the best bike club in the UK, was recognised as such at the bmf show will make a difference;)

See you at Dawes

Cheers
Simon T
:beerjug:

Colin thanks for the offer of the spare shock. I was realy looking for an upgrade rather than just a replacement.

I know the Ohlins of the benchmark shock for the GS and an obvous replacement. I thought that the Hagon may be a decent unit that was being overlooked, I'm reluctant to be the first person to shell out the best part of £400 on an unknown piece of kit.

:beerjug:

Rob Farmer
Loughborough
1100GS

On the Dutch GS forum they are recommending Hyperpro replamentsprings as a cheaper alternative for WP, Technoflex,Ohlins ect.
They coast about Euro 260 for a front and rear replamentspring,
mounting included...

Replacement Shocks

Try Fournales, two of my mates use these and they swear by them. They are adjustable, made to your requirements and more available than Ohlins (my mate ordered Ohlins and cancelled the order after 8 weeks of no show), and cheaper. Go to www.fournales.fr, apparently when you order they ask for details such as how you use your bike, what weight typically it will carry and so on. My mate also has a Duke 916 and he says his 1100GS is just as smooth and stable since he fitted one of these.

My rear has now done 20k and I will go for Fournales based on the recommendations I have had.

Mike

Sorry Everyone...

...it looks as if I left a comma at the end of the web address which is why it doesn't work.

If anyone wants any further info on ordering and costs then I can get this from my mate.

Mike "sausage fingers"

Having searched the net and various dealers I cannot find an alternative inexpensive quality shock replacement.
Ohlins: nobody discounts all around £750, even tried the Dutch importer but add on the tax (19%) and more expensive.
WP same again, slightly cheaper if you chooses an emulsilon shock on the rear.
Technoflex bit cheaper only pound notes though.
Maxton not much change out of a grand!
Has anybody else been more successful in finding an alternative?
Does anybody know if there are any deals at the shows?

Hello.

I've just ordered the Fournales from Motorworks at 70 pounds less than the made from pure unobtainium Ohlins. I was quoted a delivery time of 2/3 weeks.......we'll see.

I was drawn to the Fournales because of the lack of adjustment and the fact I could get them. Considering I've only ever adjusted the preload prior to carrying a passenger I didn't really think having 100k possible suspension settings to cock-up was an advantage. The Fournales don't have a knob to turn to adjust the preload they have a two position valve, [push button operated] loaded and unloaded.

When I've got them installed I'll post my considered opinion. With just two settings it should be short and bull free. ;)

Hi rob,
I have just fitted a hagon to my R80GS and it's made it a different bike, it's brilliant, it has more settings than you will ever need on a GS. The quality is superb, it has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. You can get them off the shelf the same day as your phone call, I did and it was on my doorstep the next morning. They are fully rebuildable.. blah blah blah. I might even spray the red spring yellow and get an ohlins sticker, you would have to look hard to tell the difference all this for £250. I am well happy as you can tell. cheers andy

R100GS Paralever used off-road quite a bit.
OEM~ lasted 18k-ish (I bought bike with 11K, I replaced at 20K)
Hagon~6K a piece - good job they have a 2 year warranty. I had THREE in that period.
Ohlins~ 25K just rebuilt 'cos I spotted a slight weep of oil on the rod.
Fournales~ No separate spring means that should you get a burst or leaking seals you have NO spring. Very dodgy should it happen a long way from home. One of my Hagons spat its' oil in Morocco (see above) I got home in a bouncy sort of way BUT I got home!!!! I nearly bought one myself but for that sort of experience.

Andy,

Thats just the answer I was looking for. Can you post again once you have put a few miles in to let me know if your still happy with the shock.

thanks

Rob Farmer

Adjusting shocks

Hi Guys,

Still on the learning curve here so excuse my ignorance:

I have one of those coil spring thingies(think it is hagonen or something) at the back of my R100GS which I usually turn in one direction to stiffen the shock when riding long distance with panniers and girlfriend. When back home I turn it the opposite direction to have a bit of a softer ride in London.

My question is: Is there any specific order in which the tension shoud be set and do I need to work out combined weight + load weight ect etc to ensure a nice firm but soft ride?
If there is please let me know as I would love to have the same type of ride all the time and not go on the luck of the draw when I feel strong in the morning cranking the tension up or less when just doing it because it is suppose to be done.

Any comments, pictures, links appreciated!

Cheers
:gringo

andy malton said:
Hi rob,
I have just fitted a hagon to my R80GS and it's made it a different bike, it's brilliant, it has more settings than you will ever need on a GS. The quality is superb, it has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. You can get them off the shelf the same day as your phone call, I did and it was on my doorstep the next morning. They are fully rebuildable.. blah blah blah. I might even spray the red spring yellow and get an ohlins sticker, you would have to look hard to tell the difference all this for £250. I am well happy as you can tell. cheers andy

Been trawling the site for info on shocks, plenty of negative comments about Hagon’s. Since they are still trading wonder if they have got better, how did you get on with yours since your post?

:beer:

I had a hagon shock on my Fazer, and my grilfriend has just bought one to replace the OEM item on her fazer. Not a GS I know, but I think for the money they are pretty good.

Of course a £250 Hagon probably won't match a £750 Ohlins, but is the Ohlins really worth an extra £500?

Back
Top Bottom