SPIII from Costco

BTBR

Compulsive tinkerer........!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So despite trying I simply cannot find any where to beat the Costco price of £552.23. I have just rung Costco in Derby and they have 11 in stock as we speak.

So whats the catch then?

What else do I need to buy..mapping software, leads??

Cheers

BTBR

nope...it comes all complete...with a bean bag mount for the dashboard of a car (works very well btw)

ALl you'll need for bike use is a mount.......lots about and a search here will find way more info than i can put here......but RAM mounts seem to be the most popular.

Unless you want to run on batteries all the time (and lots of them..it takes 6xAA batteries and they dont last) you'll need a power lead....see Rob Farmer for one of those or Maplins stock the Garmin one at twice Rob's price.

Software is all in the package, and it should be the latest versions (it is in my local costco anyway).

PS for when I'm not wearing my helmet with the autocom speakers in, or if I'm out without the autocom-rigged bag, I've got a dinky litle speaker (5 quid) mounted on a BWM GPS handlebar mount block (10 quid) ......audible up to 60 mph with no probs though you will get some funny looks riding through the high street with Betty talking to you all the time :D

I would suggest that you keep all the packaging and your Costco receipt. If they bring the prices down over the next 6 months(? - or is it 12 months?), you can pack it all up, get a refund from Costco, and then go and buy a new one at the lower price.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd also say not to register your purchase with Garmin.

Greg

Greg Masters said:

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd also say not to register your purchase with Garmin.

Greg

Quite agree...there`s no advantage in registering. I had a sudden rush of blood to the head last November and registered mine and dipped out of a free upgrade to V6

I also forgot to mention that I have spoken to quite a few Garmin dealers during the morning and the message was the same.

By the end of the year the SPIII will no longer be available, the 2610 is not waterproof and is therefore not suitable for a bike. Plus the touch screen is rather ackward to use with gloves on?

Therefore by the end of the year the only option will be the BWM version of the 2610 which is bike suitable,but you will have to sell your gonads in order to fund it.....:eek:

So how will these effect the prices then towards the end of the year, up or down...I wonder?

BTBR

bigtrailbikerider said:
By the end of the year the SPIII will no longer be available, the 2610 is not waterproof and is therefore not suitable for a bike. Plus the touch screen is rather ackward to use with gloves on?

Alan

Not true!!!

The 2610 is waterproof to IPX7 (with CompactFlash door closed) - it also works well with gloved hands!

From the Garmin website: "Most Garmin® GPS units [including the 2610] are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes."

Greg

Greg Masters said:
Alan

Not true!!!

The 2610 is waterproof! - it also works well with gloved hands!

Greg

Greg,

Now that is very interesting. :confused: Why would I be told otherwise....hmmmm I wonder?

Maybe trying to clear the stock of SPIII's?

BTBR

The only thing wrong with the 2610 is it does not take batteries so it can only be used if on some kind of vehicule/craft with power source, for me its a problem....

richie said:
The only thing wrong with the 2610 is it does not take batteries so it can only be used if on some kind of vehicule/craft with power source, for me its a problem....

And as most bikes that are used on the road are 12v then us road users won't have too many problems. You could of course buy a gel cell battery form Maplins etc, and a power lead from Garmin, and then you could use the 2610 out on the water. It might not like you, as it'll be trying to rubber band itself to any road in the vicinity unless you ask for a direct route. It works just as well for the SP3, and I used it very successfully.

BTW coming back from getting the £146 ride in, ride out, Tourances fitted in Sandbach, the weather was quite damp and the 2610 was working as well as normal.

Re: 2610 and water proof "problem"

David [URL=http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=321003&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1]here[/URL] said:
But otherwise we need to kill this myth that the current 2610 is not waterproof (that was true of the early releases).

If that isn't a test of waterproofness, I don't know what is. Carry on.

After a hard day in the saddle, I usually wash off the road-dust and grime from my GPS in the hotel shower - at the same time as I'm grooming myself!!

:nod

Greg

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by richie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has an AC power cord for use inside? That pretty well takes care of most situations.

Richie:

I am curious, what possible use would you have for a SP 2610 that involves a vehicle that travels on public roadways but does not have an electrical system?

I am quite perplexed - if you have a pure dirt bike, with no electrics (therefore not road legal), you really have no use for a GPSR that is designed for autorouting on public roadways. You should be using something much less expensive and much less sophisticated to help you find your way through the forest.

Your comment about the lack of battery power in the SP 26xx series, whilst factually correct, does not seem to make sense.

PanEuropean

Everyone is misunderstanding me... I still don't have a GPS but will almost certainly get a GPSV.... Why coz it does all I want, and I want to be able to use it handheld.... I was just saying that the 2610 does not take batteries so people know that if they want to walk / kayak or whatever they want with it they can't....

THATS ALL THE 2610 IS THE BEES KNEES APART FROM FOR BORING OLD FARTS WHO TAKE IT WALKING/NON POWERED BOATING etc....

No offence was intended for anybody with this post.... Cheers to all and happy easter....

Back
Top Bottom