spraying an 1100 plastic tank how?

Deleted account 220427002

Reaction score
HELP!!! i have heard that you can't spray the plastic tank on a 1100 gs(because the petrol fumes breath through the plastic and make the paint bubble), but i want to. i would like to change the colour to a matt black finish. has anyone got a solution,is there a special paint? or do i try to find a metal tank and just respray that.:confused:

Now that's a bloody good question!

Pretty sure you'll find the answer here though.

TUNED IN said:
HELP!!! i have heard that you can't spray the plastic tank on a 1100 gs(because the petrol fumes breath through the plastic and make the paint bubble), but i want to. i would like to change the colour to a matt black finish. has anyone got a solution,is there a special paint? or do i try to find a metal tank and just respray that.:confused:
You can but special paint for plastic, allows for expansion & contraction, stops the paint cracking. and not aproblem for tanks. Try RS paints Barnsley
01226 241126.
John:(

it's not the expansion & contraction of the paint i know that plastersizers (if thats how you spell it) will allow the paint to bend on plastics without cracking but it's the breathing of the petrol fumes that cause the probs. i had a klr with and acerbis plastic tank i had the whole bike sprayed with paint and plastersizers it was perfect!! the handguard was even bent back on its self and the pant didn't crack but!!!:( about two months down the line the tank started to bubble, after a while it was so bad that you could peel the paint off in strips. if anyone has sprayed one of the gs plastic tanks could they tell me how it turned out and did they have problems later? i'll also give the rs people a ring as well.;)

Hi All,

Likewise I have an early gs1100 plastic tank. The paint has never bubbled, but I now want to get it sprayed..............and I don't want to waste all that money and have it bubble. In the worst case scenarion, would there be any comeback on the company that paints it?.

Thanks

Robin

In the worst case scenarion, would there be any comeback on the company that paints it?.

A mate of mine's a sprayer, I keep meaning to ask him about this.

If you want to ensure option of going back should it bubble or lift you must make it absolutely clear yours is a plastic tank, petrol fumes will permeate through the tank and you want them to use paint that will not react with the fumes. This is very different to paint splashing onto the surface when filling up, important you make sure the sprayer is clear on this.
Get this in writing in the form of a formal quote before you agree price and allow work to start.

There are certain polymers which react adversely with petrol and others which don't. Note there is a difference between permeability, ie petrol fumes will pass through but the inherent structure will not be affected (like the tank itself & what you want the paint to do) and chemical incompatibility where the petrol will react with the structure and the plastic will 'melt' or stress crack (craze) and fail.
The secret is to get a paint which is based on a non reactive polymer.

Tuned In. You're thinking of Plasticisers. These are additives to polymers (plastics) which allow a degree of flexibility, the more plasticisers the greater degree of flexibility.

Hmmm sorry 'bout that, rambled on a bit there.
Bottom line, if your going to a pro paint shop, get it in writing first and you should be covered.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom