Surprising Finds In The Forest

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
While I was out on my peddly bike yesterday I came across a couple of old mills. One you could still get in so I took some pics. :thumb2 IMG_2963.jpegIMG_2962.jpegIMG_2965.jpegIMG_2966.jpegIMG_2972.jpegIMG_2973.jpegIMG_2968.jpegIMG_2970.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpeg
    IMG_2968.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
///lost.each.completed 👍 Sylvia Sheldon lived in the cottage next to the mill. She used to survey the adder population in the forest and was a well respected conservationist.

I spend a LOT of time in the forest and I’ve not once seen a snake! :nenau Thankfully. :D
This is on the wall next to the gate to the house. IMG_2974.jpeg

I spend a LOT of time in the forest and I’ve not once seen a snake! :nenau Thankfully. :D
This is on the wall next to the gate to the house. View attachment 278308
I did a natural history module as part of my C&G photography years ago so spent many hours wondering round the forest. I've seen them here in the past during the spring when they came out to bask in the sun from their winter hibination nest before moving further afield to hunt as the weather gets warmer, but you need to walk very carefully as they feel the vibrations of your movements if you're a bit heavy footed and move into cover before you arrive.
///upgrading.pace.slouched

I think they used to be along Dowles brook upstream of the ford on the east bank too but never saw any there. I remember walking back towards the visitors centre once from the main rutting area complete with camo jacket and hat and my camera on it's tripod complete with telephoto lens on my shoulder along the main track and came across a noisy group going in the opposite direction. They asked me what I'd been photographing. When I told them fallow deer they didn't believe me as they'd never seen any and asked where they were. I told them the general direction but said they'd be unlikely to see any dressed in their bright clothes and making so much noise! What's nice about the forest is once you get away from the visitors centre and other car parks you hardly see a soul, but I bet you already know that 😉

Yep, I actively avoid anywhere within at least a mile of the visitor centre. :blast When I’m hanging around in my hammock being nice and quiet I get deer, squirrels, cattle etc all walking up to within 10-15 feet away. I discovered a nice little dam in the middle of nowhere too! :thumb2IMG_2952.jpegIMG_2953.jpegIMG_2955.jpegIMG_2954.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, I actively avoid anywhere within at least a mile of the visitor centre. :blast When I’m hanging around in my hammock being nice and quiet I get deer, squirrels, cattle etc all walking up to within 10-15 feet away. I discovered a nice little dam in the middle of nowhere too! :thumb2
You on about the little lake belongs to Beaucastle? Used to be completely over grown back on the day….

You on about the little lake belongs to Beaucastle? Used to be completely over grown back on the day….
It could well be. I was in the woods behind Beaucastle.

Ahh….didn’t see the pictures on my phone….yup…that’s the place. Well, our place in the woods is not far from there at all…
Yeah, I went down past your place. :thumb2 Had to lift my bike over the gate down the end.:blast Nice and peaceful in those woods.:clap

Back
Top Bottom