Tank Change.

jenks

Having just bought a new Adv' tank to go on my standard GS, can anyone explain to me what is envolved in swopping over the pumps, filter, filler cap etc. and anything to look out for.

Fuel filters.....what life expectancy do they have?? should they be changed as a matter ofcourse.

Will I need any new seals etc. as I would prefer to get everything prior to starting the job.

Thanks in advance

ANDREW

Does the standard tank have the cross over connection? If not you'll need the hoses and quick release coupling for this.
My Adv tank 'pump plate thingy' has 30 litre stamped on it - so there must be differences. I have heard that the fuel guage gives ify readings if using the wrong one. I imagine the fuel pick up point/hose will be longer on the 30l tank.
You will find that the 'o' rings will have swollen - get new ones (the old ones you can dry out and use as spares).
Get yourself a good supply of fuel hose clips - BMW use non reusable ones.
Fuel filter should be replaced every 24000 miles.

Hope this helps as a start.

Attachments

• doc1.doc
    62 KB · Views: 108
jenks said:
Having just bought a new Adv' tank to go on my standard GS, can anyone explain to me what is envolved in swopping over the pumps, filter, filler cap etc. and anything to look out for.

Fuel filters.....what life expectancy do they have?? should they be changed as a matter ofcourse.

Will I need any new seals etc. as I would prefer to get everything prior to starting the job.

Thanks in advance

ANDREW

It all just swops over you will need the cross over pipe its just fuel hose from a car place. The fuel guage reads "differently' it just means you have a gallon or so in reserve when the light comes on at about 250miles

Done it, well worth the time. While the pump etc is out, I changed the the filter - should be changed every 24k miles anyway. Fuel warning light comes on between 230 - 250 miles. There is normally 5 litres left at that stage. To save painting the tank, I had a blue coloured Baglux cover made as I nearly always use a tank bag anyway. Good luck!

Vic P.

Back
Top Bottom