Thermometer

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
The Wunderlich thermometer that I acquired from this BB a few months ago only suffered two faults - it was hopelessly inaccurate (it read about 5 degrees too hot) and the pointer kept falling off. The latter fault was of my making - I took it apart and reset the pointer trying to adjust the first fault! Even if I'd got it right, the top yoke into which it mounts gets quite warm from the oil cooler and from the heat of the engine below, so it overread even further.

I found the solution here at Maplins who offer a small digital thermometer/clock with both in-built and remote sensors. As you can see from the piccie below, I've velcro'd mine to the underside of the dash. I've shortened the wire and mounted the remote sensor under the beak.

The unit runs for 2 years on one AAA battery which is supplied along with the velcro and sticky pad for the remote sensor. It's switchable between Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Not bad for £9.99! Unfortunately, Maplin's warehouse is out of stock, but you should find them on the shelves of their shops.

Greg

Attachments

• img_0909.jpg
    img_0909.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 430
Maplins digital thermometer

Totally agree. This spookily is exactly the same thermometer that I bought and fixed in the same way.

Further tricked mine up by snipping out the internal 1.5v light bulb and replacing with two tiny 12v LEDs, connected via lightweight wire to the 12v sidelight supply. So now I can see my thermometer at night as well.

Really helps with my through the year commute (just about down to freezing) and on an ultra hot tour of the spanish plains in june '03 (+42 deg C anyone !!)

Cheers,

Simon Morris
Torpoint, Cornwall

Re: Maplins digital thermometer

Simon Morris said:
Further tricked mine up by snipping out the internal 1.5v light bulb and replacing with two tiny 12v LEDs, connected via lightweight wire to the 12v sidelight supply.
Simon Morris

Nice idea! I think I'll be doing that too!

Greg

I bought one from Halfords, slightly more expensive but also has a digital clock (no RID display on my bike) Comes with a mounting bracket and fits onto the blank panel where the RID would normally be found

Attachments

• 202416.jpg
    202416.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 336

Back
Top Bottom