Thinking of moving from Basecamp to MRA...But!

So how is an xt perfectly useable in a Mac environment, what can u actually do with the xt? I don’t use and have never used Basecamp. You can’t see the xt files without using something like commander one.

So assuming you have a gpx, how would you get it from the mac to the device.

As stated I use MRA and transfer via Garmin drive, but that isn’t the mac.
It's quite simple.

If you have a Mac and a Zumo XT, then you can use Garmin Express to update the XT and maps, you can use Garmin Basecamp to create routes and send them to the XT, and if you want to access the XT as mass storage to view what's on the drive, you can use Commander 1.

The fact you don't do that doesn't mean it can't be done. Your method also work perfectly well also, but it's not the only method.

I use MRA and Drive also, luckily in IOS, since if I'd had an android device on my recent trip the option to use Drive to transfer files wold have failed.
 
Have you tried using this app on your MAC its just a thought have a look to see if it suits.
There is an app called OpenMTP that can be downloaded here
Yes, I've tried that - it does work. Commander 1 doesn't cost much and often use it in preference to file manager, so I don't mind buying it - though think there is a free version.
 
It's quite simple.

If you have a Mac and a Zumo XT, then you can use Garmin Express to update the XT and maps, you can use Garmin Basecamp to create routes and send them to the XT, and if you want to access the XT as mass storage to view what's on the drive, you can use Commander 1.

The fact you don't do that doesn't mean it can't be done. Your method also work perfectly well also, but it's not the only method.

I use MRA and Drive also, luckily in IOS, since if I'd had an android device on my recent trip the option to use Drive to transfer files wold have failed.
I've binned explore, removed it from the XT.

Going around in circles here, I beg to differ about your view that the XT is useable from the Mac.

Explore causes issues, Basecamp is an unsupported piece of software (which I have never got to grips with). Commander 1, is an extra piece of software with a licence.

My point was, unlike if you have a PC, moving files with the Mac is not straightforward. XT2 and XT3 are even more challenging to work with.

I have a friend who has just bought an XT and he is struggling a lot with moving gpx files to it, he is not by any stretch computer literate.
 
It's quite simple.

If you have a Mac and a Zumo XT, then you can use Garmin Express to update the XT and maps, you can use Garmin Basecamp to create routes and send them to the XT, and if you want to access the XT as mass storage to view what's on the drive, you can use Commander 1.

The fact you don't do that doesn't mean it can't be done. Your method also work perfectly well also, but it's not the only method.

I use MRA and Drive also, luckily in IOS, since if I'd had an android device on my recent trip the option to use Drive to transfer files wold have failed.
That is very helpful information thanks. I’m currently considering getting a new sat nav and the XT/XT2 are the front runners.
I would like to continue using Basecamp as a route planning tool and if I can still send routes to the XT/XT2 as I do now by just sending to device then it will make the upgrade easy.
 
I've binned explore, removed it from the XT.

Going around in circles here, I beg to differ about your view that the XT is useable from the Mac.

Explore causes issues, Basecamp is an unsupported piece of software (which I have never got to grips with). Commander 1, is an extra piece of software with a licence.

My point was, unlike if you have a PC, moving files with the Mac is not straightforward. XT2 and XT3 are even more challenging to work with.

I have a friend who has just bought an XT and he is struggling a lot with moving gpx files to it, he is not by any stretch computer literate.
Who said anything about Explore? I deinstalled it years ago, as it’s truly awful.

The fact that you are unable to use Basecamp and don’t want to use Commander 1 or its free alternative doesn’t mean that someone with a Mac can’t use an XT. Neither is Commander 1 required, though it’s a good app anyway. I have a Mac and I’m quite happily using it in conjunction with an XT.

I’m also not sure what it’s got to do with a PC. If you are using MRA and Drive then you don’t need any kind of computer. Doesn’t mean you can’t.

I’m sure your right about the XT 2 and 3, since they can use neither Basecamp nor Drive, which is why I’ve never upgraded. They seem to need either the useless Tread app or the useless Explore app.

However you are inadvertently right, in that from MacOs 28 Rosetta will be deprecated so Basecamp will no longer work, which means route planning will have to be done elsewhere anyway. But that not till late next year.
 
That is very helpful information thanks. I’m currently considering getting a new sat nav and the XT/XT2 are the front runners.
I would like to continue using Basecamp as a route planning tool and if I can still send routes to the XT/XT2 as I do now by just sending to device then it will make the upgrade easy.
I don’t think you can send files from Basecamp from the XT 2/3. Check, but I think they are not supported in Basecamp, which is why I’ve never upgraded.

Have a read of this. It doesn’t say explicitly that BC is not supported by the XT 2, but it does infer it.

 
I don’t think you can send files from Basecamp from the XT 2/3. Check, but I think they are not supported in Basecamp, which is why I’ve never upgraded.

Have a read of this. It doesn’t say explicitly that BC is not supported by the XT 2, but it does infer it.

But the XT is fine.
 
Who said anything about Explore? I deinstalled it years ago, as it’s truly awful.

The fact that you are unable to use Basecamp and don’t want to use Commander 1 or its free alternative doesn’t mean that someone with a Mac can’t use an XT. Neither is Commander 1 required, though it’s a good app anyway. I have a Mac and I’m quite happily using it in conjunction with an XT.

I’m also not sure what it’s got to do with a PC. If you are using MRA and Drive then you don’t need any kind of computer. Doesn’t mean you can’t.

I’m sure your right about the XT 2 and 3, since they can use neither Basecamp nor Drive, which is why I’ve never upgraded. They seem to need either the useless Tread app or the useless Explore app.

However you are inadvertently right, in that from MacOs 28 Rosetta will be deprecated so Basecamp will no longer work, which means route planning will have to be done elsewhere anyway. But that not till late next year.
I am quite happy managing with the apple eco system. I was just trying to lay it out for the less computer literate amongst us.

Bit confused as to what Garmin express has to do with the discussion, you can't (as far as I know) load gpx files. It is only for software and map updates, which if you have an XT can be done via wi fi.

I am also quite happy with commander 1, use it for various other tasks.

Going to finish this pissing contest now, think my input has run its course.
 
I am quite happy managing with the apple eco system. I was just trying to lay it out for the less computer literate amongst us.

Bit confused as to what Garmin express has to do with the discussion, you can't (as far as I know) load gpx files. It is only for software and map updates, which if you have an XT can be done via wi fi.

I am also quite happy with commander 1, use it for various other tasks.

Going to finish this pissing contest now, think my input has run its course.
Final point, which is that I have had a couple of Wifi updates go wrong and have had to recover it with GE, but I think in any case we are largely saying the same thing!
 


Back
Top Bottom