Time for a new clutch?

Bubb

Dogsbody
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My R80st hybrid has a slightly slipping clutch when I walk the throttle open in higher gears.
I have checked and reset the cable to factory settings (201mm etc) but it still slips a bit in higher gears.

time for a clutch replacement?

Did you also adjust the actuator arm bolt? How many miles since last changed? Do you have a gearbox input shaft or rear crank main seal leak? So many questions. But usually if has slipped like you say then a lot of heat has been dumped into it. So it may be knackered even if not worn thin. Spring could be weakened, all sorts to check whilst you are in there.

Tim
i did adjust the actuator lever at rear of gearbox.
no idea how many miles on this clutch, or if there is a rear oil seal slight leak.

think it’s time for a new clutch. I like the old bike, so worthwhile as I do aim to keep her.

thanks for the reply

Decision made….. new clutch plate ordered.

just stripped rear swingarm etc off the bike, cleaning all parts as I go along.
ordered rear brake shoes too, as the ones in there are getting very low.

will continue the strip ( slowly) until I get the gearbox out, then see if I need new seals on gearbox and/or rear engine.
hopefully no new seals required, and it’s just the friction plate at the end of its life……time will tell.

Im not going to rush, or skimp. If I think anything needs doing, I will get it done so I can continue to enjoy the old girl.

Well, now I know why I was getting clutch slip.

gearbox is now out, and the clutch area is covered in a mix of oil and brake dust….Yuk!

time for a good clean of all parts, remove clutch pieces, clean again….. then replace rear engine oil seal.
might check oil pump seal at same time.

Removed clutch…… glad I took it all apart.
The friction plate is knackered, the plate is scratched from the rivets on the friction plate
The rear engine seal is leaking…

New parts ordered. Just need to clean up everything, then fit new main seal.

Well, it’s all back together, new clutch pack, new friction plate , new rubber boot on drive shaft, new bolts for drive shaft to gearbox, new rear main oil seal, new oil pump o ring…….and new oil in gearbox, bevel, and shaft.
(Oh, and new brake shoes in rear….might as well do them as wheel was off, and the old ones were getting very worn)

Only real fiddly bit was getting the bolts in from shaft to gearbox, and getting the rubber boot (gaiter) back onto the rear of the gearbox……. But it’s easier if you remove the shock and prop the drive shaft horizontal….

Short test ride completed, and all is well in the airhead world!

I had never done an airhead clutch before, but it’s not difficult really, just time consuming when you have to clean everything up as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom