TKC80 fitment information for R1200GS

Clive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After checking the Fitment Guide linked from http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/contibike/default.htm
I discovered that the R1200GS was missing from the list.

I used their Contact Us link and got the following reply...

The TKC80 has been approved for use on the R1200GS, and has also passed the stringent German government TUV test for handling and stability.

BUT...as with the R1100GS and R1150GS, you will have to reduce your maximum speed when using this tyre. The TKC80 in the sizes to fit your bike is "Q"
speed rated rated (100mph) and you will have to remember this when riding.
BMW are fine with, after all the tyre is original equipment on the R1150GS Adventure.

The sizes to use are:
150/70B17 69Q TKC80 - using 32psi
110/80B18 59Q TKC80 - using 36psi

Regards

Bryn Phillips

Sales & Technical Support Manager

Cambrian Tyres Ltd

Clive,

I was in Ocean (Plymouth) yesterday and there is 1200 waiting to go out new on TKCs and wires. Looked quite good too!

At Hechlingen all the 1200's are on TKC...
IMHO the best Dual-purpose tire there is...

5679513-M.jpg

Just out of curiosity, has anyone exceeded 100mph with the TKC80s?

Just wondering if it's a "They'll blow at 101mph!" thing or if it's a "Because you could sue us if they blow, we'll only say that they're capable of doing 100mph"
:rolleyes:

Not quite the same...

but i have All-terrain tyres on my 4x4, they're R-rated (106mph), on our soujourn to Spain this Year with top box on (never again!) and fully loaded i briefly got to 110mph (miraculously) with no adverse effects, I believe there is a safety margin of some sorts, but i didn't stick around to find out!

TheJoker said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone exceeded 100mph with the TKC80s?

Just wondering if it's a "They'll blow at 101mph!" thing or if it's a "Because you could sue us if they blow, we'll only say that they're capable of doing 100mph"
:rolleyes:

A brief foray into the 100's is ok just dont prolong it, its due to the heat build up in the tyre, that could lead to faliure.

Pete A

pragmatix said:
A brief foray into the 100's is ok just dont prolong it, its due to the heat build up in the tyre, that could lead to faliure.

Pete A

Aah, heat, of course, makes sense. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom