Touratech hard parts - worth having?

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now that I'm on the verge of receiving my fully-restored GS back, I want to minimize the chances of damage should I be stupid enough to crash again...

Have fitted H&B engine bars this time, looking favourably now at the Touratech range of hard parts designed to protect the weak spots. I'm thinking especially of the part that fits around the front yoke .... the yoke on my bike twisted in the crash and caused havoc ... £1200 worth of freakin' havoc!!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback from those who've 'field-tested' these add on bits ....

The front fork hard part certainly makes sense to protect your frame.

You can either buy that or make your own... I simply superglued some hard rubber bumpers to the triangle. Works just as well, is less conspicuous, costs nothing...

If you wanna see it, I'll make a pic or two tonight.

Cheers,
Michel

I've recently fitted the touratech hard part to my 1150 tele lever front end, i fitted it because i wanted to ride the 'Tennyson Trail' here on the Isle of Wight, i've not crash tested it, but it sure gave me peace of mind while i was stuck in some large ruts!!. Recommended

DIY

I like the sound of your home-made hard parts Migsel.... have been considering something similar myself, because think the Touratech thing is a bit ugly

Would appreciate if you could post some pics on here

Many thanks

Will

gavin said:
I've recently fitted the touratech hard part to my 1150 tele lever front end, i fitted it because i wanted to ride the 'Tennyson Trail' here on the Isle of Wight, i've not crash tested it, but it sure gave me peace of mind while i was stuck in some large ruts!!. Recommended

Gavin, I've not seen one in the flesh, what's it like to fit? Do you have to dis-assemble anything on the bike, or does it just fit straight on around the yoke-end?
Cheers
Dave

This is it. A piece of hard rubber first, then a softer rubber bumper thingy. I got those with a modem or something, sort of anti-slide supports.
If you prefer the TT thing, it's quite simple to fit. A 10 minute follow-the-guidelines-bolt-on operation.

Attachments

• img_2564.jpg
    img_2564.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 640
retroman said:
Gavin, I've not seen one in the flesh, what's it like to fit? Do you have to dis-assemble anything on the bike, or does it just fit straight on around the yoke-end?
Cheers
Dave

Dead easy to fit, no special tools needed and no dismantling of the tele lever, as i said, it gives me peace of mind when i take it of road, it cost me £60 from SPC, but you can also get them mail order from Bracken (touratech).

Re: Glue

willstatt said:
Very neat job... what glue did you use?

Will

Superglue Loctite 406. Seems to stick, since they've been on for about half a year now.

Total thickness is 23mm: 15 for the hard rubber + 8 for the soft bit.

And no, it's not in the way for the brake hose. The TT thing has a bit for guiding the hose so it doesn't touch the hard part, but there's no need for that if you use small bumpers like these. Not on my bike anyway (1150 GS Adv.)

OK SO I'M A SUCKER FOR BADGES

Got the Touratech part through today. Hope it works. Don't intend to test it too soon tho.;)

Just prepping my 1150 for 4 weeks away and decided to make a variation of miGSel's hard part, this is not quite as neat but will also reduce damage to the fork as well as, wishbone, tank, brake line etc in the event of a spill.

The rubber block and straps are cut from a knobbly front tyre and are partially wrapped around the fork to spread the load and fixed over some thin sticky backed foam, held in place with cable ties.

Some more sticky backed (get down Shep!) rubber is fixed to the wishbone.

Tim

Attachments

• fork .jpg
    fork .jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 438
Yup, that's the idea. Works fine, costs nothing!

Tim
Not that much of an anorak to count them but I reckon that old tyre must actually be worth a few hundred quid if you sell you're patented Angulsee forkfixkit for a fiver a throw, hey might be onto something here

Back
Top Bottom