Trailer and tow hitch query

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to get a tow bar / hitch fitted to my 3 series BMW tourer. Looking to transport a single bike of gs / r weight. Questions are :
1. What type of tow hitch to get? Flange or whatever. Not worried about it sticking out (stops fuckers parking too close)
2. Recommend me an installer SW18 and south
3. Would love something easy to trailer, prefer fold away ( storage at home, more than at location). Or in boot.
4. Transverse or perpendicular options…prob won’t reverse much but open to discussions. Guess that is a motolug or the other one that goes across the rear (name escapes me)
5 cost is in the equation

Try PF Jones https://www.pfjones.co.uk/

They seem to be the cheapest and have done some good installations for me in the past.

I prefer a detachable but they’re a bit more pricey.
Thanks, will do. I'd like a fixed trailer, but I just don't have the storage and parking available for a full trailer. It would need to be dismantled each time and stored in the shed

Ensure that a 13 pin socket is fitted.

There are still some fitters using 7 pin sockets, but these are now very old hat.
I've never quite fathomed this.....all I use my towbar for is either towing the motolug (7 pin plug), a 7ft x 4ft trailer (7 pin plug) or my Thule bike rack (7 pin plug). What benefit does a 13 pin plug plus an adaptor have ?

I've never quite fathomed this.....all I use my towbar for is either towing the motolug (7 pin plug), a 7ft x 4ft trailer (7 pin plug) or my Thule bike rack (7 pin plug). What benefit does a 13 pin plug plus an adaptor have ?
A 13-pin socket has all the connections that a dual 7 pin (7N + 7S) have.

Most new caravans and trailers have been fitted with 13-pin plugs for several years.

Looking to get a tow bar / hitch fitted to my 3 series BMW tourer. Looking to transport a single bike of gs / r weight. Questions are :
1. What type of tow hitch to get? Flange or whatever. Not worried about it sticking out (stops fuckers parking too close) - If you're not planning on towing big weight, removable ones are fine. However depending how often you'll tow it can be a faff to put on/remove. Alongside any weathering that can happen in the access holes. I'd go with a fixed flange/swan neck style.
2. Recommend me an installer SW18 and south - Towbar man south (i'm guessing he covers SW London). Good prices, good knowledge and good warranty/work coverage too.
3. Would love something easy to trailer, prefer fold away ( storage at home, more than at location). Or in boot. - Motolug is probably your best best (depending on budget). but depending on your space a PM310 isn''t too large in reality.
4. Transverse or perpendicular options…prob won’t reverse much but open to discussions. Guess that is a motolug or the other one that goes across the rear (name escapes me) - transverse for a Weight of the Bikes in mention. Safer for towing with the weight layout.
5 cost is in the equation

Agreed - get the vehicle specific wiring kit, not a generic one. DAMHIK …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom