Travel insurance

I take it that i am covered if i ride my 1200gs from home.

Does the collective agree?

Are those inclusions or exclusions? I reckon you need to study both of them, and even then - looks like you will not be sure.

This is Avivva wording:

I read that those are exclusions BUT they are what they call, ‘written back’ (ie the exclusion is reversed) subject to certain Conditions.

In this case, motorcycle riding, is not excluded, providing in the case of your 1200....

a. You ride it from your home to your holiday destination. This effectively stops you hiring a large capacity bike abroad. You might wonder what it means if you trailer your 1200 down behind your car? Or you might not; that’s up to you.

b. You have an appropriate UK licence; we guess you do. If they question it, contact Guy Martin’s lawyer. To use a UKGSer popular expression: ‘Sorted’.

c. You wear a helmet and appropriate clobber; we assume you do, at least for point one. Point two, consider at leisure

d. You are insured to ride the bike in the UK; we assume you are. If in doubt, contact Giles who will check you over in a professional capacity for free

e. You do not plan to venture outside of Europe. So take care if you decide to go to say, Morocco, which ain’t in Europe (yet)

PS The terms are so much clearer than the Nationwide building society’s mumbo-jumbo.

I have high blood pressure which is controlled using candesartan; fairly common these days.

I usually use Worldwide Travel or Post Office and was gobsmacked at the hike in the premium as I declared this. In the end I spoke to NatWest who told me over the phone that because my condition was under control I was still covered by my bank policy. Didn't get it in writing so will be checking now.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

try Get Going - I use them as do others with pre-existing medical stuff. A very easy to use declaration system on the website and premiums are not loaded by much - an extra £2.66 for hypertension & type 2 diabetes that are well managed on an annual policy
https://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk/

You may well find it cheaper to buy an annual ‘multi-trip’ policy, rather than two singles. Assuming that is the ‘multi-trip’ policy covers all the activities you intend to carry out and destinations you intend to visit, of course.

Some good advice, ripped from the web:

It varies - for 2019 an annual policy worked out better value due to the frequency of trips (prebooked UK trips are covered as well)

In 2018 I had separate policies for the trips as I only went overseas twice. One was to Spain/Portugal and the underwriter I use splits Europe into 2 zones. North & South largely. You have to pay extra to get cover in Spain, Portugal & Turkey. Saved about £20 as I would have needed the annual cover to include Spain & Portugal but only used it for 2 weeks. The other trip was only in France/Belgium & Germany so in the cheaper zone.

try Get Going - I use them as do others with pre-existing medical stuff. A very easy to use declaration system on the website and premiums are not loaded by much - an extra £2.66 for hypertension & type 2 diabetes that are well managed on an annual policy

A good tip from Wessie.

As he says, an easy to use website. Though it does highlight the problem of recommending policies (as suggested by Nutty) as there are lots of sub-options and / or different levels of benefits and / or territorial choices and / or periods of travel away. My suggestion would be to ask for a quote, save it for up to the 14 day ‘quote open for’ period and shop around a bit more. If you like it at the end of that lot, give it a go.

Half way to a ten pager. :D

True it is, but the more exposure these sorts of threads get the better. I would imagine there's a fair few who think they may be covered, if it encourages someone to check, that has to be a good thing. Also serves as a good reminder that policy wording changes and what was good last year might not be now..

:thumb

True it is, but the more exposure these sorts of threads get the better. I would imagine there's a fair few who think they may be covered, if it encourages someone to check, that has to be a good thing. Also serves as a good reminder that policy wording changes and what was good last year might not be now..

:thumb

Indeed. :thumb

I’ll certainly be looking into this in more detail, as I assumed that the insurance with my Lloyds gold account covered me. Better get my policy wording booklet out.

At the risk of simply padding out this thread.......

A couple of things to look out for, which may have importance for you:

*Policy may state that you have a return booking in place prior to departing UK.
*Policy may state that your policy is in place prior to commencement of your travel (a pal of mine sorted his out while on the outbound ferry, so might have had consequences.)
*Policy may state that if your country of residence has a reciprocal health agreement (E101 card) that you have this in place.

There are of course - more, but once you have found the policy that covers your bike-travel, don’t sit back and think: “Sorted” :D

I have used Alpha Travel Insurance for the past 10 years or so, their Alpha Zero MT (31 days) Inc. Wintersports policy, Annual Cover, Zero Excess, Worldwide Inc USA, Mexico & Canada is my policy of choice.
If you go through Quidco you can get cashback, (there's currently a voucher code of TWENTY20 for extra discount)
This year's policy for me comes in at just over £70 (including the Quidco cashback).
Their general policy exclusion wording:
You were driving or riding any motorised vehicle for
which you did not hold a valid UK driving licence;
You failed to take reasonable safety precautions;
This satisfies most of my worldwide motorcycling pursuits (as in I always wear a helmet, gloves and sturdy footwear and never ride without some legwear or jacket)

Excellent tip Wessie. Just bought Travel Insurance for a summer beach break in Turkey next year and additional premium for Hypertension was £1.59. :fbthumb

You may well find it cheaper to buy an annual ‘multi-trip’ policy, rather than two singles. Assuming that is the ‘multi-trip’ policy covers all the activities you intend to carry out and destinations you intend to visit, of course.

Some good advice, ripped from the web:

Thanks Richard, I shall be going for a multi-trip policy for sure, I haven't booked anything yet but will be booking my ferry crossing to France in May at the end of January, ferry is already booked for the IOM but nothing yet for the Croatia trip which will be in September.

Nationwide Flexplus Travel Cover

Seems clear to me that cover for riding a bike from home as your mode of transport is covered. Section 9 has the exclusion:

9. Motorcycles, mopeds and scooters
Any claim as a result of you using any motorcycle, moped or scooter, if:
• You do not wear a crash helmet.
• You are in control of the vehicle and you do not hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type in your home area.
• The vehicle is above 125cc and you did not use it to travel from your home area.
• You are not wearing appropriate protective clothing.

Flipping those statements gives you the conditions in which you are covered i.e. must wear a helmet; must wear appropriate clothing (woolly as not clearly defined); must have a licence to ride that size bike and must have travelled from home on the bike (so not covered for fly-ride where you hire a bike in resort)

I have the Flexplus cover and was perturbed by the wording of the new document. Having contacted the helpline they have confirmed your understanding is indeed correct. The most helpful lady was not able to write to me and confirm this but she did place a suitably worded confirmation note on my file and also advised me to make a written note of the exact time and date of the conversation and the Nationwide contacts name.

My annual renewal just came through with Avviva. Changes this year are that they are listing exclusions so by default everything is is covered.

Just thought i would ring and check for the mighty GS. Confirmed on the phone fully covered for motorcycle use. There is no reference to engine size or whether you hire a bike or not.

Premium has gone up £10 but still only £80 per year for both of us and the wife has some listed medical conditions.

Just read through the ' Get going " Travel insurance document ,
Single and Multi Trip. Poverty Plan £33
The only exclusion to motorcycle cover of any CC was as below , seems like everything else is covered.
Once I resume the will to live I will have a look at their " Standard and Premier " cover to try and see what benefit if any to a motorcycle tour would be.

You are responsible for the control of a motorised vehicle for which you do not hold appropriate qualifications to drive/ride in the United Kingdom or the Channel Islands. (If you are riding pillion, or you are a passenger, it is your responsibility to check that the rider/driver holds the appropriate qualifications). You can visit the following link to the UK Government site for more information on appropriate licenses: https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-

Also excluded
You are travelling on a motorcycle or moped without wearing a crash helmet, whether legally required
locally or not.

Which implies you are covered if wearing a crash helmet

Back
Top Bottom