Ultimate Ear / Ultimate Service.

Commuter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am super impressed by the guys at Ultimate Ear. One of my monitors was playing up last weekend, so posted it to them on Tuesday and just had them arrive back, recorded delivery all fixed, cleaned the lot.

Nice one Ultimate Ear, Excellent service. Thank you. :thumb

Hmmm, we'll see........

My 7 month old monitors failed on me before Xmas...a shame cos I was really wanting to take them along on the trip for some quiet listening moments.

The coating on one of the wires on one plug split, leaving the plug itself swinging on a thread and no sound to that side....didn't someone say once that U.E wires were thin?

Took them in tonight, and the lady in Orpington said it might be few weeks. (after she took them off for the 'technician' to look at , the lady came back with it completely seperated from the wire...oops!)

Hopefully it won't take that long.......that's too much for a bit of kit that I need nearly every day and cost that much.

Keep you apprised.

Interesting.

My left monitor failed twice, the second time within a couple of weeks of being repaired (a convoluted process, as I was travelling in the USA at the time).

The problem seems to be that the cable pulls out (not physically out of the earplug, but disconnects internally). Ultimate said I shouldn't pull on the wire to get it out of my ear, but were unable to suggest how else to remove them (mine are small plugs which fit shnugly into my ear - there's no 'extra material' to lever out).

They then said that they'd redesigned how the wires connected to the monitors, so pulling them out using the cable shouldn't cause a problem. That lasted 2 weeks.

I rarely use them now (most recently on the flight back - they're great to watch an in-flight movie with), mainly because I feel they're fragile.

On the plus side, they've always been speedily repaired at no cost.

Anybody else had similar problems?

Mike:)

That could be my prob actually Mike....hadn't thought about it.....

Mine are flush with my ear....nothing to easily pull out, so I suspect I've been tugging the wire to get an edge up to lever out.

Not really an easy answer I suspect.....unless they can put on a reinforcement bit on the wire, but pointing downwards so it doesn't interfere with the helmet fit.

We'll see.

If I might mention Green Leopard here...

Thicker cable and a full ear bowl mold (which gives you something to hook your finger behind when you take them out)

Had mine since last summer, took them round the arctic, use them all the time and still as good as new.

You get what you pay for...

schiannini said:
If I might mention Green Leopard here...

Thicker cable and a full ear bowl mold (which gives you something to hook your finger behind when you take them out)

Had mine since last summer, took them round the arctic, use them all the time and still as good as new.

You get what you pay for...

Full ear bowl would be no good to me. The Ultimate plugs had to be cut down to get them to fit comfortably inside my ear against my helmet. If I got that when I paid, I'd be dissatisfied.

The full shell one's don't stick out, they just fill part of the outer ear as well as fitting in the inner ear. This means you don't have to tug on the cable to get them out.

Mine are perfectly comfortable in a crash helmet.

The point is that these are all custom made and if your ear shape is such that you find the full shell style uncomfortable then the plugs will be made to your spec.

I'm just saying that ultimate ear may well have good customer service (and I should add that Green Leopard gave me outstanding service) but that only goes so far when the competition has a better product.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, just saying there is an alternative which IMHO is worth considering.

I know Ultimate sponsor the site and I guess you feel obliged to "big them up" just adding another opinion.

Fanum Have you got Ultimates address in Orpington as I might pop in & see them to see there kit ??

Ultimate Ear Protection
2a Bedford Road
Sidcup Kent
DA 15 7JP
United Kingdom

There's a map too.....click the link box at the top of this page and you'll find it.

It's a bizarre little place......stuck behind two white wooden doors....you'll think it's the wrong place at first.

The giveaway of course is that Judge's bike will be parked outside.
:D

Mike O mine are also real uncomfortable with my lid on, loads of pressure not at all nice, Did they cut yours down to size later or were they made that way from new? apart from the comfort they work great, sound at a ton plus and little wind noise.

beacon said:
Mike O mine are also real uncomfortable with my lid on, loads of pressure not at all nice, Did they cut yours down to size later or were they made that way from new? apart from the comfort they work great, sound at a ton plus and little wind noise.

No, they cut my original plugs down to size - it took two attempts, IIRC, to get it right...

Got them back Saturday by recorded delivery......new lead fitted, no charge.

Can't complain at that ....well done U.E :D

Back
Top Bottom