Vehicle Import/Registration Advice - R100GS-PD


Registered user
Aug 3, 2020
Reaction score
South Yorkshire, England
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm brand spanking new to the Airhead club.

I've had two F800GS' in the past, but the vibration levels from long-distance riding forced me to cash them in - both times for Triumph Tiger 800s!

(In case you're wondering; I got F800GS first, sold it for the Tiger, got the desire for another throaty F800GS so I sold the Tiger and got another GS, then a harsh reminder about the vibration levels caused me to sell the GS and get another Tiger - which I still have!)

However, I've been lusting for an R100GS Paris Dakar for quite some time and I've finally taken the plunge.

Now I'm looking for a bit of guidance regarding importing into the UK if anyone can help?

I've bought the 1991/92 R100GS-PD from Munich in Germany and I've had it delivered to my house using a courier service. I've got a fair amount of paperwork, including a TÜV SÜD certificate, the registration documents and the delivery slip from the courier.

I'm currently filling out the V55/5 form and it requires lots of information stated with the 'Certificate of Conformity' but I don't have one. I feel like the CoC thing is a bit of a money-grabbing scheme, because when I spoke to a BMW representative regarding the matter, they told me they can't provide a CoC for the GS due to it's age.

Does anyone know the secret ingredient to getting this all signed off? It's grinding my gears!

Thanks in advance!
The CoC is not required. The airhead GS predates all that stuff.

Have you looked here?

When I imported my 100GS from Ireland, I found the DVLA very helpful. Give them a call ...

DVLA Vehicle Enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturdays, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
By webchat

Use the webchat service to contact DVLA about vehicle registration and V5C certificates (log books).
By email

Use the email service to contact DVLA about vehicle registration.

Remember that you can insure the bike by using the frame no / VIN before you get a UK registration. That will allow you to ride it to an MOT centre where the MOT can be awarded on the same basis, pending the new registration.
You need to get a NOVA reference first to confirm that there is no duty due. To use the on line NOVA application you need to be a Government Gateway user. A search on line will get you the info for all of this. If you PM me your email address I will send you a sample V55/5 form and sample letter listing the documents that you need. You don’t need a COC, you do need the original German log book (Fahrzeugschien).
Firstly you need to go onto your government gateway account and complete the NOVA registration.
Then get the bike mot’ed using the vin number.
Thirdly you fill out the V55. Send a cheque for £55 plus Road tax £93.
You don’t need to put anything in apart from the basics.
CC, DOR in Germany make model, vin number, engine number Etc.
You can of course use a third party to do all this for you, they usually charge £100.
Pm me if you need anything else
Cheers john
Thanks for the replies everyone, that pretty much sums up my query. Appreciate the prompt and detailed responses too!

I’ve done my NOVA application already and had it MOT’d so I think it’s just a case of filling in the sections of the V55 which doesn’t require the CoC, compiling the documents and sending a couple of cheques off in the post - recorded delivery of course!

Thanks again,


Top Bottom