Waterproof Overtrouser Suggestion

I used to wear the "Pussers Goretex" kit as part of the job when i was serving at sea. Its designed to be used by crew on the upper deck of a warship during inclement weather where you are very exposed to the elements.

Its about the only piece of uniform ever issued to HM Forces that does what it says on the tin.

Like any goretex item, it needs to be cleaned using Tech wash or similar and preferably tumble-dried on cool or ironed on a very low setting to heat-activate the goretex.

Having worn mine in anger, they're the best and most breathable WP overtrousers I've ever owned all for a fraction of what branded bike gear costs.

Like any goretex item, it needs to be cleaned using Tech wash or similar and preferably tumble-dried on cool or ironed on a very low setting to heat-activate the goretex.
afaik it's not the goretex membrane that needs "activation", it's the water-repellent surface finish designed to stop "beading" and wetting of the outer layer. As long as it's clean and undamaged, the goretex membrane will remain impermeable whether or not you activate the surface treatment.

afaik it's not the goretex membrane that needs "activation", it's the water-repellent surface finish designed to stop "beading" and wetting of the outer layer. As long as it's clean and undamaged, the goretex membrane will remain impermeable whether or not you activate the surface treatment.

Before this excellent ‘hot tip’ thread dissolves into a very technical discussion, let’s hear it from the horse’s mouth:

Wherein:

We recommend line-drying your garment; it uses less energy and reduces your impact on the environment. Once it’s dry, tumble dry the garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric. Do not tumble dry GORE‑TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments, no need to reactivate the DWR treatment in GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments.

The ‘why’ of the tumble drying is probably less important than the act of tumble drying itself.

Last edited:
I’ll be having a look later because normally I’d use overtrousers designed for mountaineering that have almost full length zips so you can get them on over crampons but they’re not cheap and mine have a few rips in them that have had patches glued over them because I’m a cheapskate.

Thanks for the tip :thumb2
I use similar nylon over trousers sold for hikers, the full length zip down the outside of each leg means you can get them on or off easily when wearing bike trousers with armor and boots

mine were dirt cheap from a high street sports shop, don’t take up much space to carry and are totally waterproof (y)

Back
Top Bottom