Weight in the real world ... 800 vs 12GS, vs 12ADV

Realistic weight test. Manouvre it around in your garage / confined space. Relative weights / how high the c of g is, becomes immediately apparent. As I've found out with a 1200 GSA and F650 single ;)

I had an old F650 funduro and was equally worried about the extra weight of the 800. When I took one for a test ride I noticed the extra weight straight off, pushing/pulling the bike off the ridiculously short side stand was a chore. Having said that, once I was upright and moving I was happy, only had a few eep moments stopping at junctions. It felt like it had more presences on the road and as you've probably read the engine is a peach.

I figure I'll tune the rear pre-load to just the right height get used to the weight.

Picking mine up on Thursday, can't wait :-D

Jolyon

I had a go awhile back on the K1200LT, otherwise known as the mobile bathtub. I noticed the extra weight straight off (bloody hard not to ;) ) but once I was moving I was happy. It also had presence on the road.

(Sorry Jolyon :) )

Put this one to bed as what I say is gospel:rob

800 is way easier to handle than the other larger GS's as for adding stuff to up the weight, everyone adds to the weight no matter what the bike it's called personalisation.
Best thing is ride the bike and see how you feel.

As for the off road capabilities, all the bikes are usually more capable than the riders:thumb2

Hear Hear yir Maj.
I'm finding my 800GS a lot more nimble than the old 1150. The underseat tank keeps the weight low, unlike the 1100/1150/1200. Can't say what it's like when loaded yet, but expect it to be more manageable.
I had doubts about selling the 1150, but they have been dispelled.

Yeah but the 1150 is another 25kg (?) heavier again so that's more like comparing the 1200GS Adventure with the 800GS.

The underseat tank low-down weight theory sounds good but what happens when the tank is nearly empty. :nenau

Tim

From AdvRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7241449

Neun93 said:
So I rode the F800GS at the BMW Enduro park for their 1 day course. Last October I took the course with the 1200GS so it was great to compare the two...

...compared to the 1200GS it didn't feel much lighter to me. If you compare the specs there is a difference of 20 kilos (44lbs). But the F800GS doesn't come standard with a center stand and when you add this it make the gap even a little smaller...

All in all it was a great time and I was very impressed with the motorcycle. Although for me I think it reinforced my decision to buy a 1200GS as I prefer the torque of the boxer motor, the linked braking and as I mentioned the weight difference seems negligible to me. The riding I will do will be 40-50% off road but mostly established trails and fire roads.

Back
Top Bottom