Welding mistake? (The Long Way Round)

Candyman

Another South-African Tosser
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Watching The Long Way Round when they were welding the frame back together.
Do you not have to disconnect the battert before you start welding the frame?
Is that the reason why the ABS did not work after that?

Don't want to make that mistake when I am in the sticks:D Although his replacement Jap bike seemed to work better on that terrain.

Zmeagol said:
I don't have the book to hand, but from memory they disconnected one terminal, but should have disconnected both.

Tim

why? if one terminal is disconnected then no circuit!! and no damage..
(well thats wot i wus always taught)

Disconnect the earth lead, with the ignition turned off then hopefully nothing should be connected to the frame and no damage should be done but i think for the sake of it disconnect both just to be sure.

It's good practice to disconnect the earth terminal before welding (although it's not essential). As cookie has already pointed out, it's an absolute waste of time and effort disconnecting both!

However, as Fanum pointed out on another thread, the brake light appeared to be jammed on (bent front or rear brake lever?) and this will usually cause the ABS to fail.

Greg

slimbo said:
why? if one terminal is disconnected then no circuit!! and no damage..
(well thats wot i wus always taught)

According to the book, this was the recommendation from the BWM mechanical monkey they had on the phone. Didn't make much sense to me either. Then again I'm an idiot:p

However, as Fanum pointed out on another thread, the brake light appeared to be jammed on (bent front or rear brake lever?) and this will usually cause the ABS to fail.

Greg

I found that bit funny as Roger Walton and me sorted that on my bike after 15 pints at 11.00 pm in Princetown, oh yea it was pissing with rain too. I drop mind in the field whilst trying to camp!

Front brake level caught inside the handguard.!!

Cracked me up!!

N

After all the times they droped the bikes, the ABS probably only needed reseting from under the seat!!

Back
Top Bottom