Well, I didn't expect a 650 to be so troublesome. (PS It wasn’t in the end)

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My new v Strom 650.... I can't get anyone to quote for insurance for it. 10 years + NCB, been with Carol Nash since about 1985, but because all my other bikes are old and 'classic' their system doesn't allow for it to be quoted. I will get a call back from someone at some stage, but there is nobody available to look into it at the moment!

What is so spectacular about a Suzuki V Strom 650, that is pre registered at the dealer, so in effect 'used'? The system on 4 different brokers now has just said 'unsuitable vehicle' and cannot quote.

===========

Title edited

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you run a conventional quote at somewhere like https://www.moneysupermarket.com/motorbike-insurance/

The bike is likely too new to be considered on classic policies. Classic policies do not accrue a no claims discount so you will be starting from scratch. As you are of mature years, you might find it is not that expensive to run a separate policy and you will start to accrue NCD. When I had two newish bikes I found 2 policies cheaper than a combined policy so I had 2 full NCD.

My new v Strom 650.... I can't get anyone to quote for insurance for it. 10 years + NCB, been with Carol Nash since about 1985, but because all my other bikes are old and 'classic' their system doesn't allow for it to be quoted. I will get a call back from someone at some stage, but there is nobody available to look into it at the moment!

What is so spectacular about a Suzuki V Strom 650, that is pre registered at the dealer, so in effect 'used'? The system on 4 different brokers now has just said 'unsuitable vehicle' and cannot quote.

Try RH insurance or Lynbrook
Google them
They will do your R80/XCountry and new VStrom - no bother

Simon, I guess Carol Nash have indeed flogged you a ‘Classic bike’ policy, the underwriters of which don’t (or can’t) add a modern bike to. That is not necessarily unusual or a bad thing in itself.

Carol Nash should be able to sell you a separate policy for your new bike or, as Wessie says, there are lots of brokers / insurers who can. Will it be cheap or expensive? Who knows? Shop around, that way you’ll find out what suits you best.

Classic policies don't have NCB. If you've not had a modern bike for 2 years or more, your NCB will be void and you have to start over. Is that the problem perhaps?

Insurance is a funny thing.

When i sold my CBR600 and got a GS, my then insurance MCE said they cannot insure the GS?
So i went on Compare the Market and guess what... cheapest insurance was with MCE??

So i did the right thing and ignored the tossers and went with someone else.

Have you run a conventional quote at somewhere like https://www.moneysupermarket.com/motorbike-insurance/

The bike is likely too new to be considered on classic policies. Classic policies do not accrue a no claims discount so you will be starting from scratch. As you are of mature years, you might find it is not that expensive to run a separate policy and you will start to accrue NCD. When I had two newish bikes I found 2 policies cheaper than a combined policy so I had 2 full NCD.
Hmm... computers, websites, data entry... Simon Might have to knock on neighbours door :augie
Classic policies don't have NCB. If you've not had a modern bike for 2 years or more, your NCB will be void and you have to start over. Is that the problem perhaps?
Could be pricey affair, if that is indeed the case.

I have always checked if I can get the insurance on any bike I was about to purchase, and if I did managed to get insured, what's the damage, can I afford it?

Yep, that's what I do, before bothering with road tests and haggling etc....

me too, hence working out 2 policies are cheaper than one when you try to add a new Triumph Explorer to your nearly new R1200RS policy.

I have done the Meercat dance and got a quote of £198 from Principal Insurance, who I have never heard of. At least I have a quote! Job description was a laugh, they don't know what a safety boat skipper is, so I stuck with photographer. I still do some, in fact I am just back from a site meeting with a buildings management company about doing their complex for roof and gutters inspection imagery with my flying Hasselblad, so I am not telling porkies.

RESULT! Carol Nash came good in the end. They had to jump through some hoops but have added it to my existing policy, all the same benefits of European Breakdown Cover etc.... £120 and a few pence! I shall be fetching her back tomorrow.

RESULT! Carol Nash came good in the end. They had to jump through some hoops but have added it to my existing policy, all the same benefits of European Breakdown Cover etc.... £120 and a few pence! I shall be fetching her back tomorrow.
Fetching her back from where. ?

Back
Top Bottom