What are the 'Must have' mods ?

black20vt

Hi

I have just ordered a 1150gs adventure with heated grips, engine bars and paniers. Fantastic bike, couldn't believe the difference to my cbr600f1.

anyway, what essential mods are there to be done ?
i.e with the cbr it was fit a rear hugger. and any advice on running in etc that you 'old hands' can pass on ?

I read something about a hard part but couldn't find anything with a search. Also it seems the lights are pretty crap too.

Is there a FAQ for this forum ?

Too many questions but you get the idea.

Essential mods

welcome to the world of a really fantastic motorcycle. Nothing is essential but lots of GS'ers will fit a'Y' piece, Remus or similar exhaust, new emgine mgmt chip and so on. We are no different from most other bike riders except that we know that the machine we ride will really do almost anything, and certainly go anywhere. Take the dealers advice for the first 500 miles, change the oil every 3000 and just sit back and ENJOY!!

Mike

Essential extras

On my standard GS - my essential accessories are -

Ohlins shockers front and rear.
Sebring Exhaust
MRA Vario Screen
Corbin Seat
Baglux Harness and Mapcase
Tourance Tyres
Touratech Rack Bag and Sidepanels
BMW Panniers and Heated Grips/Handguards
Wunderlich Cylinder Head Flaps and No. Plate Mudflap
Front Fender Extender and Rubber Mudflap
BMW ABS

These are not in any preferential order, but for me, make my bike near perfect

As a recent GS convert, I would suggest the following:

Ditch the catalytic converter for a Y-Piece - gives wads more mid-range.

Buy a Remus Revolution - adds even more mid-range and top-end, and with variable volume control.

Stick with Tourances - great grip wet or dry.

Carefully set the TPS (search on this board for this) to somewhere around 0.36 - 0.38 volts to optimise performance.

Don't worry too much about running it in gently - 2 -300 miles of easy stuff then start to give it some load, but don't labour it!

Depending on your height, find a screen to rid you of the turbulence. Again, do a search on here to find more info.

Be careful of tyre pressures - mine seems to be very sensitive to this - 33psi front, 38psi rear, and they lose pressure every week.

Ride the wheels off the thing!!!!!

black20vt,

heres some fo the mods made to my bike. In my defense the bike is being prepared for a big trip next year.

· Touratech 35mmHandle bar risers
· Touratech 43 litre fuel tank
· Touratech hand gaurds
· Touratech hard part front
· Touratech hard part back system
· BMW heated handle bar grips
· Touratech dual headlight conversion kit
· Touratech Perspex headlight protecter
· Touratech rallye front mudguard
· Hel steel braided (plastic sheathed) brake lines
· Remus straight through connecting tube
· Remus Grand Prix racing silencer
· Bbpower chip
· BMW rear mudgaurd (removal)
· Touratech rear wheel splash guard
· Touratech panniers mounting rails
· Touratech pannier system
· Wunderliech lockable oil filler cap
· Wunderliech steering head caps
· Touratech intergral pannier locks
· Touratech rallye extra wide foot pegs
· Ohlin shock absorbers front & back
· USA Thottle rocke
· colour coded spark plug protectors
· Touratech engine gaurds
· 2 X additional12v extra power sockets
· Touratech rallye flexible indicators
· Boyz Toyz custom spray job
· Autocom bike to bike radio system
· Touratech colour coded side panels

bloody hell, I know there's stuff I've forgotten.

Cheers
Simon T
:beerjug:

Black:
Personal preference will dictate whether or not you buy an after-market screen; a replacement seat; and spotlights fitted on a light bar under the beak. These are all popular mods because, fantastic bike that the GS is, the lights are naff, the seat is appalling, and the screen can give some riders buffeting problems.

There are no "essential" mods but most people go for a straight through Y-piece to replace the cat converter. This alone makes a huge difference. Many others go the whole hog and add a race can, K&N filter, and a new engine management chip (that little lot will set you back about £800).

The next mod (although some do this first) is to junk the springs for replacement shocks from Ohlins or WP. Again, this will set you back about £800 but it's well worth it. You mighht want to do a few thousand miles on your Showas first to get your money's worth.

The rest is a matter of taste and desire. Tank bags and tail packs are useful, some go for top boxes. I've put footpeg lowers on mine, crash bars, a hard part, braided hoses (you've got those anyway), hugger, bar risers, mud/boot protectors, rear number plate extension/splashguard (really works).

So far I've spent over £3000 and I'll probably spend about another £1500 to £2000 before I've finally got what I want. I wonder if Simon Thomas has done an estimate of what all his extras should have cost? But it's all worth it.

Simon E

Simon,

Lisa and I were lucky enough to get support from Bracken Motorcycles when putting the bikes together. To be honest if we hadn't the bikes probably wouldn't be in as good shape as they are now.

I'm pretty sure that if we paid full price for the kit there's no way I'd have the balls' to add it all up:D ...some things are just to scary...poverty is one of them;)

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

The main mod/addition in my opinion is enginebars.The rest of the stuff just get when you feel you need it.The list is endless which is a good thing if your bank balance is he same.

Back
Top Bottom