what mods on 1100?

sbn351

What modifications/emprovements have you made on your 1100 for longdicstance offroad touring?

For offroad only?

0) knobbies (TKC80, Heidenau K60 or Mezeler Karoos, not much more choice there)
1) hard parts
2) high quality aftermarket suspension rear+front (Wilbers, Öhlins or WP)
3) light engine guards. Light and soft material OEM BMW guards for 1100 are among the best IMHO. Too stiff and hardcore guards like Hepco & Becker can do more damage to the engine than protect under some crash conditions (other than cylinder cover plastic/carbonfibre or aluminium guards have seen any pro-offroad riders using engine (tube)guards on a boxer? It's a rare event to hear about a broken cylinder head from boxer daily offroad riding guys)
4) aftermarket exhaust (LOADS of weight saving, but it fecks up power deliver too-non enduro, light racing exhausts makes engine too peaky in most of the cases taking away that "smooth" offroad riding style you can enjoy with the stock exhaust thanks to very superb bottom end power it gives)
5) decent handguards (NOT OEM)

- I'd recommend to remove the mirrors if you're competent enough to ride w/o them in the traffic to get into offroad trails.

- DO NOT take off the rear seat as a weight reduction, or you'll have all the stuff lost from toolbox. Another possibility is to buy aluminium cover for toolbox. Original plastic toolbox cover is useless for serious offroad riding.

- Stock screen is the best for such purpose - it's low enough not to kick you into the face when doing some mistakes going over obstacles wheelie style when the rear wheel gets the bumpy grip slamming you against the front end fairing. While stock screen gives you sufficent wind protection on high speeds.

Hopefully the distance isn't that long you need to take tent and stuff with you... (?) If so, things'll change.

Hey thanks for you reply, I have a few other questions for you ;) You have to look away from spelling mistakes, english is not my native language :thumb2

Here goes:

For offroad only? No not only, but some and mayby its more gravelroads than direct offroad.

0) knobbies (TKC80, Heidenau K60 or Mezeler Karoos, not much more choice there) OK :)

1) hard parts - what does that mean?

2) high quality aftermarket suspension rear+front (Wilbers, Öhlins or WP) - OK :)

3) light engine guards. Light and soft material OEM BMW guards for 1100 are among the best IMHO. - hmm what is IMHO? Too stiff and hardcore guards like Hepco & Becker can do more damage to the engine than protect under some crash conditions (other than cylinder cover plastic/carbonfibre or aluminium guards have seen any pro-offroad riders using engine (tube)guards on a boxer? It's a rare event to hear about a broken cylinder head from boxer daily offroad riding guys) - I thought most people use the guards like Hepco & Becker??

4) aftermarket exhaust (LOADS of weight saving, but it fecks up power deliver too-non enduro, light racing exhausts makes engine too peaky in most of the cases taking away that "smooth" offroad riding style you can enjoy with the stock exhaust thanks to very superb bottom end power it gives) - I thought most people use the guards like Hepco & Becker?? - hmm i like the smooth sound of the original exhaust, arent aftermarket exhaust LOUD :eek: What aftermarket exhaust would you for instance recommend?

5) decent handguards (NOT OEM) What is OEM? and how about the guards from touratech for instance?

- I'd recommend to remove the mirrors if you're competent enough to ride w/o them in the traffic to get into offroad trails. Ok :)

- DO NOT take off the rear seat as a weight reduction, or you'll have all the stuff lost from toolbox. Another possibility is to buy aluminium cover for toolbox. Original plastic toolbox cover is useless for serious offroad riding. Ok :)

- Stock screen is the best for such purpose - it's low enough not to kick you into the face when doing some mistakes going over obstacles wheelie style when the rear wheel gets the bumpy grip slamming you against the front end fairing. While stock screen gives you sufficent wind protection on high speeds.
Ok :)

Hopefully the distance isn't that long you need to take tent and stuff with you... (?) If so, things'll change.- Well the trip will hopefully be about a month or so long, so lost of gear is needed. Planning on using alu panniers just havent disided what brand to use.

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

OEM- Original equipment for manufacturer

Hard Parts- are bits supplied by Touratech that strengthen certain weak points in the 1100 model have a look at there website for more info and what is available

Larger fuel tank

28072007250vt9.jpg

Ive modded mine by adding: H&B engine bars, Migsel Light bar with PIAA and Hellas, Wire Mesh over front light, Oil Cooler cover, Fastway foot pegs, and MRA Screen for long distance riding in all weathers..... The setup works a treat for my touring in Europe :thumb2

And the cam chain mod so no more rattles on start up... Piper cross air filter (foam)

Don't add stuff -Take stuff off.

Thats the best mod you can do on any GS.

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

OEM- Original equipment for manufacturer

Hard Parts- are bits supplied by Touratech that strengthen certain weak points in the 1100 model have a look at there website for more info and what is available

Ok thank you :)

And thank you all for your input. What panniers do you guys use?

Good mods - brake pedal extender (genuinely useful for me, depends on yer feet I guess) throttle cruise control (if that's to your taste).

Awful / pain in the @rse mods - drilling holes in the fuel filler neck in the hope it allows extra capacity, but which in fact has helped me to pee petrol all over petrol station forecourts, mates' new tarmac driveways (popular one, that) or, ideally, just down the next 10 miles of road which is a lot less noticeable and which allows you to keep believing it's a good mod.... :D

PG

Off roading

Fit a pair of fastway foot pegs, these are wider and give good grip and when standing up it is like standing on the floor, very stable and no slipping. Imho
essential for off roading.
Dave gs.

Ok thank you :)

And thank you all for your input. What panniers do you guys use?

I've just fitted a pair of Hepco & Becker ally panniers and I'm very pleased with them. Had a Hepco & Becker ally top box for a few years now and have been impressed with it so went the whole hog, so to speak.

My 1100 is stock except for Migsel oil cooler guard and BMW engine bars. Same shocks and exhaust after 84,000 miles, sweet :thumb

long distance off-roading ?

fuel tank neck mod.

lighter exhaust system

different and more comfy seat

remove the rear seat - fit a soft tail pack if solo.

different h'bars - renthals.

wider footpegs.

over 40k on the bike - new rear shock.

hard parts if you're on really rough terrain with too much weight on the subframe.

decent helmet, GPS, cleaning cloth to remove dust, water carrier,fuel carrier etc etc

"Drilling holes in the fuel filler neck in the hope it allows extra capacity” I did wonder about trying this mod myself... I don't think I will now! Thanks for the advice PG

TKC's
Hardparts
tank cover
25mm bar risers
Rubber steering stops - old knobbly bits off tyre
Rubbers removed from foot pegs
crash bars
GPS clamp - home made
cylinder head guards - TT
Solo comfort seat - TT
headlight guard - made for a fiver
H&B topbox
Al Jesse panniers
hand guards - extended for bugger all money
MRA screen - can be lowered for off road and being clear aids vision.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 142
  • lakes Jan camp08 002 (Small).jpg
    lakes Jan camp08 002 (Small).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 141
  • lakes Jan camp08 044 (Small).jpg
    lakes Jan camp08 044 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 137
  • My Bike.jpg
    My Bike.jpg