Whats this for then??

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
Removed the petrol tank today to replace the faulty cable from the ignition. The bike now seems to be fine. I found however a connector waiting to be connected. Whats it for I'd like to know. I have a full spec bike....

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 327
!!

.:idea
That's where you plug in your Bread Baking Macine! You know, the big thingy you have in your top box!
:yelrotflm

( I have no idea! )

;) Liv.

Meter it, with ignitionn on & off see if you get any voltages, might be for an alarm.

Think it is for the alarm.

I've brought a socket for one of the pins and feed my gps off it. One of the middle pins [left on your pic] is live if I remember correctly.

Russ.

Richie,

what colour ae the wires leading to it? Should be relatively easy to check against a 1100 wiring diagram......

Mike:)

Dunno...

Sorry no help here, but looking at the build up collecting in the 'open' socket I would seal it up with some waterproof tape after having put a little vaseline or 'no corrode' inside it.

Your bike is a 1994....could be a diagnostic socket or possibly a timing pick-up for B#w technician to connect motor tester to!:)

Yes I'll have to take off the tank again and surround the whole lot with some kind of plastic waterproofing box. It looks like a breakdown waiting to happen. In fact it was a break down and it did happen but at the ignition end. It seems to me a complete joke that BM did not waterproof it better from new.
Maybe newer bikes have more protection.

richie said:
Maybe newer bikes have more protection.

I doubt it, my 1999 1100 was just as bad and the engine oil temperature sensor cable has a connector there which went open circuit and caused the engine to run rich then cut out.

If you ride in the wet or wash with a hose, I'd get under there, clean it all up, and try and waterproof it.

Iain

Back
Top Bottom