Wheel Building in the East Mids

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I need to get some offset built into a back wheel.

Ideally I want to ride over on the bike to discuss with the builder so somewhere reasonably close to Nottingham preferred.

Can anybody recommend somebody please?

Andres

Forgive me.
What is 'Offset' & why would one need it in a wheel?

Forgive me.
What is 'Offset' & why would one need it in a wheel?

If you draw a line through the centre of the wheel rim and wheel hub they will be in line if the two components are centred relative to each other. In this case there is no offset.

Now, if you imagine the spokes were all very loose, and you looked at the wheel form above, you would be able to pull the hub back and forth whilst holding the rim still. The amount the centre line differs between to two when you do that is called the offset.

You need offset to keep the front and back wheels in line when other parts of the motorcycle aren't in line eg swing arm is slightly over to the left or right, or making room for drive chains/sprockets.

I had my back wheel built with no offset (my fault) :blast and consequently because the wheels aren't in line it pulls (ever so slightly) to one side.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not great at explaining stuff like that!

Andres

Attachments

• BMW-Offset.jpg
    BMW-Offset.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 161
If you draw a line through the centre of the wheel rim and wheel hub they will be in line if the two components are centred relative to each other. In this case there is no offset.

Now, if you imagine the spokes were all very loose, and you looked at the wheel form above, you would be able to pull the hub back and forth whilst holding the rim still. The amount the centre line differs between to two when you do that is called the offset.

You need offset to keep the front and back wheels in line when other parts of the motorcycle aren't in line eg swing arm is slightly over to the left or right, or making room for drive chains/sprockets.

I had my back wheel built with no offset (my fault) :blast and consequently because the wheels aren't in line it pulls (ever so slightly) to one side.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not great at explaining stuff like that!

Andres

It kind of makes absolutely no sense to me at all. But I'll take your word for it :)

Yes it does. You're a genius. Thanx for explaining. :thumb2

Now, in answer to your original question, no I can't. I'm sorry.

Central wheel components in station road Coleshill B46 1NU is the only one I know of that's any good close by.

Not local to you I think I remember Bounce using them when he had his wheels rebuilt. Maybe an option if you can't find anywhere else :thumby: if you do pop down the Husky dealer with the tempting offer isn't far away :augie

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk

Andre,
try Steve Townsend (ST motorcycles) he's at Foston near Grantham, wheel builder and frame straightener, top bloke.
Phone him on 07917718008.
Paul.

Thanks for the suggestions guys; it was CWC that built me the wheels in the first place Shapeshifter and no way am I going anywhere near temptation Mr Tiger :p

ST Motorcycles sound perfect, I'll give Steve a ring, thanks Paul :beerjug:

Andres

Back
Top Bottom