Where to put phone & iPod?

Tobers

Reaction score
I have my phone and iPod linked up to my Autocom. However, I currently carry them in my jacket pockets. This means it takes me about half an hour to get on the bike as I have to plug a million cables in, and half an hour to get off again (or untangle myself once I've got off having forgotten I was cabled-tied onto the bike).

So, I need something to keep the goodies in which I can run the wires to so I dont have dangling bits everywhere.

I am thinking about a crossbar bag (needs a crossbar of course) - Wunderlich do one, but it needs to be waterproof. I dont want a tankbag as I have an aversion to them.

Anyone else solved this tangly problem?

I use a Baglux tank cover, with a map-holder attached.
Works well & you can operate the 'goodies' (MP3 & mobile phone in my case) through the plastic screen.
Don't know if this fits in the 'adverse to tank-bags' catagory?

Tuareg Bag

I use this bag that hangs from the handle bar strut .

Hein Gericke sell them for £ 7.99 catalogue page 366

item no. 21002141

Cheap & practical

Yeahbut!

Attachments

• tuareg.jpg
    tuareg.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 534
I have the same setup with ipod and phone, but inside the BMW tank bag.

I power it from the bike using one of these PowerMate which is highly recommend. I have it with the 12" right angle BMW power lead and twin fag lighter type outlets in the bag. I'll put a picture up if you want.

I control the volume/track using the ipod remote control. The only thing I am looking for right now is a way of getting the sound out of the tank bag with some kind of connector like the powermate.

Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Edit: I like the idea of the tuareg bag. Question, I have the Nav2 on my cross bar, do you think this would fit behind it??

Tobers, I haven't got a picture to hand but have you considered a RAM mount for the Ipod? I've got two attached to my handlebars (not using the crossbar, which you don't have on the 12), one for my PDA GPS and amother for my MP3 player. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow if I remember to show you. Works well and doesn't intrude at all on normal riding, I'm sure you could do a similar setup for your phone.

Muppet said:
Tobers, I haven't got a picture to hand but have you considered a RAM mount for the Ipod? I've got two attached to my handlebars (not using the crossbar, which you don't have on the 12), one for my PDA GPS and amother for my MP3 player. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow if I remember to show you. Works well and doesn't intrude at all on normal riding, I'm sure you could do a similar setup for your phone.

I take it this wouldn't be waterproof?

Bluetooth...

..seems to be the way foreward:p

I'm looking at options for my SE P900, and can't see any reason to stick with wires anymore;)

Just for you Tobers...

.....this should allow you to seep safely at night:-

<iframe frameborder="1" height="450" scrolling="auto" src="http://www.lilipods.com/lilipods.html" width="700"></iframe>

Suits you Sir!

Oh Yes!

Re: Just for you Tobers...

boundless said:
.....this should allow you to seep at night:-

lilipod.jpg

Suits you Sir!

Here.

:)

Kev, you be bouncing on'em too darned quick...

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing."

Dandy curve on that last one though!

tn_morecambe_wise_show.jpg

A little eager there, I fear.

There was a time when Patience ceased to be a virtue. It was long ago.

:)

There's a Hein Gericke just down the road from me so I'll go and check out that crossbar bag - thanks for that.

Ensuring everything stays dry is important. I'll look into the map pocket thingy as well but I'd rather keep everything out of sight.

Tobers....have a look at the Pelican cases.....they do a range of sizes and although the micro ones sized for phones/pda's etc have a clear top, they might well do the job nicely.

I believe Ricardo uses one mounted to a BWM crossbar block with a rubber grommet to allow a lead to come out for his MP3 player......I'm sure he did a thread about it on ADVRider a while back.

Pelican importers in uk are HERE

HTH

Bill

Fanum said:
Tobers....have a look at the Pelican cases.....l

<iframe frameborder="1" height="750" scrolling="auto" src="http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PSI-232&Category_Code=ipod&Product_Count=16" width="850"></iframe>

I can vouch for the HG bag, I have had the same one on both this and my Tiger for the last 4 years. It stands outside my office every working day all year, and hasn't leaked, fantastic piece of kit.

Tobers,

The Pelican case is ALMOST there, but doesn't quite mount to a bike as easily as the Otterbox 3600.

After tons of reasearch, I have recently fitted an Otterbox 3600 waterproof pda case onto a RAM mount on my handlebars. See it at www.otterbox.com

This is a cool piece of kit. Totally waterproof, with removable access points for pwer cables to feed into the box. I have been using it with my iPaq for all my sat-nav and with my iPod. It is great! AND you can lift up the clear screen and access all the touch controls through a waterproof membrane. Genius.

You can order it from a company called Rugged Peak www.ruggedpeak.co.uk. Cost me about £94 with the RAM mount.

I know that I rabbit on a bit on the GPS forum about it, but I cannot praise this more highly and is just perfect for anyone wanting to use their PDA< iPOd, MP3 etc in a very accessible and waterproof environment.

I will try and get some pictures of it on here soon.

Re: Just for you Tobers...

<iframe frameborder="1" height="450" scrolling="auto" src="http://www.lilipods.com/lilipods.html" width="700"></iframe>

Nice Box!

Back
Top Bottom