Which oil...?

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking ahead to Spring and servicing my 2013 LC. I remember a recommendation from some time back for the best oil which gave the smoothest gear change but can't remember what it was.

After a bit of judicious juggling with the clutch, my gear change is really pretty good when the engine is cold but becomes quite clunky when it's hot. Any suggestions for an oil that would improve this?

The mandbook gives the reccomended viscositys, the make, is down to personal preference

I have used Motul 7100 fully synthetic 10-40w for the last 3 services now on my 2015 GS, the bike runs well and the gearbox is a little smoother I think.

The only slight thing is that the average ambient temperatures down here are about 10 degrees or so higher than the UK, if that might make a difference, but when the engine is up to running temperature, it should make little difference me thinks ?

5W-40, That's thinner than the Avantec? I would have thought, that the engine would sound even more awful than the 10W40 Avatec ?

Cheers for this (y)
I've been looking at changing my oil. And now I think, with your help, I've found it. I've just read the avantec specs, That is also 4W40, so its perfect. Just for interest, I ran my 1150 on Mobile 1 20W40 for 14 years. Was as sweet as a nut.
:thumb2

The fact it's more expensive says enough for me. With it being 4 liters, I hope it doesn't require a top up between services. It hasn't yet !

It’s gone up a bit, I paid 41.50 from here in April

I also used Motul 7100 10w40 in my 1200LC and it quietened it down a lot.

I had to put a litre of 10w40 in my 1250 during a trip to the Picos this year and it didn’t make any perceptible difference.

Back
Top Bottom