Who deserves my £ in London?

absolute_gser

Hi,

I've been watching this board for months, building up a stream of questions and discussions. However, before I launch into those I feel I must get my deposit down on a new 1200GS and was wondering whom was generally accepted as the best dealer in London. Is there any dealer which stands out for their service? i would like my bike latest March 05..I've got my ££ ready..!! Any help is truly appreicated. P.S. I live in Central London (W1).

Regards,
Nick.

Nick,

Welcome and congratulations on stepping out of lurker's corner into the mainstream :thumb

You are in a very fortunate position, in touching distance of London are pleanty of dealers, all whom I'm sure would love a cash buyer in no rush :D

Whilst we might have our favourites they are all as good as the last mistake someone highlighted and if I say go to X dealer,as sure as I' typing this someone will have something negative to say about them.

Have a cruise round and let the dealers inpress and convince you first hand, its the best way.

Good luck and come March lets be seeing this thing and you at our meets around the area.

Regards,

Andy

Hey Andy,

thanks for the quick reponse. I absolutely agree with you in that every person will have their own subjective experience according to their particular evaluation criteria... I did however go for a test drive recently at a dealer in central London who promised that they would arrange for me to get a good ride outside of zone 1 on some varied terrain. They even went so far as to say that they had programmed a ride into the GPS that would take you on a long trip around London. Suffice to say that all that I got was a ride around the ring road, never getting out of 2nd gear! (no exaggeration!). I left totally pissed off with the dealer, fealing totally ripped off and waste of time. I literally had cash in my pocket. I shall continue my search, but if anyone has had any particularly good experinces, I would like to prioritise my search if possible.

This is such a great resource...

cheers chaps...
nick.

This is a recommendation from a motoring journalist, IIRC Quentin Wilson, to anyone from within the M25: don't buy a new vehicle from a London dealer.

Instead, travel to a rural or semi-rural part of the country which you like. Test drive the vehicles on your short list in pleasant surroundings. Purchase your chosen vehicle. Return to London.

When you need a service: book into your rural dealer, using the money you save on London service prices to finance a pleasant weekend away in the country.

absolute_gser said:
Hey Andy,

thanks for the quick reponse. I absolutely agree with you in that every person will have their own subjective experience according to their particular evaluation criteria... I did however go for a test drive recently at a dealer in central London who promised that they would arrange for me to get a good ride outside of zone 1 on some varied terrain. They even went so far as to say that they had programmed a ride into the GPS that would take you on a long trip around London. Suffice to say that all that I got was a ride around the ring road, never getting out of 2nd gear! (no exaggeration!). I left totally pissed off with the dealer, fealing totally ripped off and waste of time. I literally had cash in my pocket. I shall continue my search, but if anyone has had any particularly good experinces, I would like to prioritise my search if possible.

This is such a great resource...

cheers chaps...
nick.

Little bit harsh on Park Lane there ;)

Don't feel pissed off at them for the traffic in London!

As the venereal one says, try out different dealers.....
He's just waiting for me to say this I know, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with Prestige in Bexleyheath.....and there are some reasonable roads within 20 mins of them that you can open it up on and /or get some bumpy stuff feelings on.

See you at a meet soon :thumb

Bob Southgate said:
Nick,

Take a look here for a list of BMW dealers local to the London area.

Bob

Has anyone got a Mapsource file with all the BM dealers in the UK as waypoints?

I know the Navigator comes with them already loaded. :)

Another vote for Sawbridgeworth.

Another vote against Park Lane.

I've used both for significant periods and Sawbridgeworth are in a different league. Park Lane were consistently awful.

If you're in W1, I'd take a trip down to Vines of Guildford. All I can say is I got top quality service when I bought my bike there. Even lent me gear to go test riding (only popped in for a browse, walked out with the demonstrator:D )

The service at Vines was in stark contrast with that received at Southlondon Motorcycles, thats all I'm going to say.

I am based in the relaxed leafy suburb of Clapham ( ahem!), and still feel it's worth my while going to Cannon BMW in Chelmsford, Essex. Why? well they make you feel they are very glad to get your business and go out of their way to do a good deal. When I was looking for an low mileage GS ADV, the Greater London dealers thought £8k+ was good value for one with 30,000 on the clock...do me a favour. Went to Cannon and got a nearly new one for almost same money and they threw in low seat, pannier rack and engine bars. They are good guys. :beerjug:

darkhorse said:
Try Sawbridgeworth just north of London, very good service all round

I would agree with Dave on the level of service, but their rates are bloody high.

Bob

Sawbridgeworth (speak to Brian) or Cannon's both are great.

PLus you get to run in your new toy in pleasant country surrounding rather than smoggy traffic jams!

Come out to 'ut counryside....arrrrr....we may talk a bit funny, but we don't bite ;)

If you do, bring some nubile women along....arrrr...we need some 'ere fresh breeding stock....;):D

Interestingly talking of PL, they arranged to get me some oil for my 12 and i took a walk up there one lunchtime to pick it up.

1L of fancy Castrol oil £10+VAT! for ONE LITRE! I only had a fiver on me as i didn't expect to pay more than that

Went to Sawbridgeworths the following day, £4 oh and will put it on your 600 service bill don't worry about paying us now :thumb

Here Ya go Roger....MPS file with all the Bimmer dealers in the UK.

Attachments

• b-bmw dealers uk.mps
    4.2 KB · Views: 42
Fanum said:
I've got the yoorop ones too if ya want'em ;)

Well that would be just wonderfull, I'll make sure your well rewarded for your efforts. :thumb

Hi Guys,
I may be too late with this but I bought my GS from South London M/C in Caterham. Extremely nice people and they even wash the bike after servicing. They also have a club which meets up for rideouts(not been to that yet)They also have a small cafe in the dealership and on weekends do bacon butties etc:jibberbig

Fanum said:
Here Ya go Roger....MPS file with all the Bimmer dealers in the UK.
Don't think so.....:( Motorrad Central in Glasgow isn't there, for one......

Back
Top Bottom