Why was my computer broke?

Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mrs Den, yes, she is getting the blame, switched of the computer for "cleaning". She did not disconnect anything. When I put it back on, it didnt work. Nothing came on the screen. After about 10-20 seconds, a beeper sounded ( on big mother board thing) and one of the two lights in the front panel ( the one that normally flashes when computer is being used) went out.
After taking it to bits and staring angrily at each part then reassembling.... it still didnt work. Then low and behold, I tried it again later and it is working.
Any Clues as to reason for this.

Attachments

• comp (small).jpg
    comp (small).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 116
You've got magic fingers Den. Don't let the downstairs staff go near it again. :)

The sequence of beeps and light flashes would have told you something as its the BIOS giving you a fault message - your motherboard manual should help with deciphering it.

But as its now working I'd not bother :D

When Mrs Den sprayed the Mr Sheen and waved her feather duster indiscriminatnly, presumably the case was on the PC rather than it is now doing its impression of the Pompidou Centre? :yikes

It went beep beep beep...............beep beep. Repeated this three times then went quiet.

Photo was taken after I had reassembled the bugger, I was leaving it to get some fresh air.

Den said:

Photo was taken after I had reassembled the bugger, I was leaving it to get some fresh air.

Perhaps a trip to the coast would be good for it. A good dose of sea air should sort it out. :)

Bios beeping like that usually refer to some major issue stopping the pc even booting up.

* CPU fubared, not seated etc
* Memory probs
* No video card detected

Too much Mr Sheen and a key was sticking down on the keyboard..or something partially disconnected like the monitor lead etc....

Re: .

franco said:
Too much Mr Sheen and a key was sticking down on the keyboard..or something partially disconnected like the monitor lead etc....

I'm with Franco. A stuck key is probably the most common cause of mobo grumpiness on power up.

At my last workplace, an electronics factory, it happened several times a week on the shop floor; solder balls flicked off the pcbs lodged between the keys of the test kit.

It's nice that theu've labelled the big whirly thing at the back so you know what it is.

;)

From memory (and it's not very good!) 5 beeps means a problem with the video card. No screen display supports this also. Try removing and replacing the video card if it does it again (turn it off first). Worked for mine!

Back
Top Bottom