Wild Country Trisar 2 Tent - Mini Review

DJ123

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had this tent a little while now and used it in some varied weather (although not in any warm weather, yet) and thought it'd be good to share some thoughts.

It is a 2 person tent on the smaller side of things. It's a comfortable 1 person (Biking) tent with enough room to stow your gear inside. There's enough room to sit up inside on a pillow, or a pad with ease - but definitely not a chair.
In Windy conditions the tent is solid. The outer barely moves and neither does the inner. It's also quiet due to the internal poles set up, which means no wind whistling through the gaps. Very easy to sleep in during windy conditions (30-40mph gusts of wind for 24 hours this weekend without any issues).
The tent has also proven its waterproofness, surviving 24 hours of solid rain, from a drizzle through to some pretty heavy drops - although not of a storm level. The taught outer skin helps to shed the rain, and the very few flat top level surfaces prevents any water sitting, or building up.
As the inner is nigh on all solid material, bar the one vent at the rear, it keeps the warmth in/cold out pretty well too - without making it stuffy, as air flow is still promoted through the rear vent. You really do feel the differene when you open the door!

Set up
It's a 7-10 minute set up at most. And its an inner pitch first, with the outer over the top - this is one of the things i'm not a fan of.
3 poles set it up - 2 x main supports to the diagonal corners, and the final pole for the front porch.
The pole connection/pegging out straps for the inner have 2 holes for the poles - so you can make the tent a little more taught if needed.
The outer has straps you can either allow you to connect it to the end of the tent poles, or you can peg it out separately. I tend to peg it out separately as i find the gap between the innner/outer is more consistent.
5 guy lines in total - 1 rear, 1 each side and 2 at the front on the top vent. I've never used these as the tent has more than enough structure at the front - but would be used if the wind was coming from the front.

Inside
The tent tapers front to rear, which is good to have a wide opening door to access the inner. With a pocket either side of the door to store things in and a central hook in the centre to hang a torch. The walls don't taper in too much until you get down to the back of the tent where the roofline slopes down. The one interior vent is at the rear, situated behind the vent hood on the outside.
The door can be opened in multiple ways as it has 4 zippers - you can open it left/right/down/up. Which is handy for escaping without getting covered in rain or condensation. It also gives you the option to leave the top of the door down a little for a bit more airflow into the tent.
The vestibule is a good size, with plenty of space each side of the door to store equipment out the way, that doesn't need to be kept inside.

It packs up relatively small & is pretty light too - for a 3/4 season tent
42cm x 15cm
2.7KG

For summer months/calm weather i'd put a tarp over the front to give a sheltered seating & cooking area - and that's about the only addition i would make. It's a great tent overall for a place to sleep & to be comfortable if the weather turns wet and windy.

e4409eedd6c23c37bc80ffbc605e9e50.png

7da5d8441ceecf78b69b1c8baa638c5e.png

1359a9d61a25bb49ad2d6bc923d304b1.png

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ArFViuUHxLg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, nice tents. :thumb2 BUT I have a problem with inner pitch first tents.
Now, before the predictable one jumps in, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with them at all, it’s just a personal thing. Ok Andy! :D

Now, before the predictable one jumps in, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with them at all, it’s just a personal thing. Ok Andy! :D

You are not alone - I have a similar affliction :D

Nice review, though just the manufacturers photos? Must have some of it pitched in cool places?

I've just aired my Wild Country Hoodie 2, used it last around France last year. I do like Wild Country tents, seem a bit more substantial that Vango. I've an Vango Omega 350 and Vango Halo 300, both bigger, but there's something quite endearing about taking the Hoolie, might be just it's so simple to set up with 2 poles, as the Trisar not a great deal of room, but certainly enough for one person and bike gear. It tends to be my go to touring tent if stopping one night in each place, any longer I'd take either of the others.

Just my 2p :D

You are not alone - I have a similar affliction :D

I'm not a big fan of them either, but its so quick to put up i'm not too fussy. And as i'm not wild camping i can always sit in the nearest shelter and wait for the rain to stop/slow down before pitching!

Nice review, though just the manufacturers photos? Must have some of it pitched in cool places?

I've just aired my Wild Country Hoodie 2, used it last around France last year. I do like Wild Country tents, seem a bit more substantial that Vango. I've an Vango Omega 350 and Vango Halo 300, both bigger, but there's something quite endearing about taking the Hoolie, might be just it's so simple to set up with 2 poles, as the Trisar not a great deal of room, but certainly enough for one person and bike gear. It tends to be my go to touring tent if stopping one night in each place, any longer I'd take either of the others.

Just my 2p :D

The Wild Country certainly seem well built for the price you pay for them. This one will be coming with me on my European tour in a few weeks - although not camping for the full 10 days, it'll be my shelter for the 2 days there & back. I'm trying to get it out in worse weather, and see how it holds up. Mainly so i'm confident in what it can handle, should the worse of the weather arrive when i am away.

Photos at last, Yay :) Always good to see

I tend to take my smallest tent on trips and camp if the weathers good, if wet definitely Booking.com to the rescue :D

I'm not a big fan of them either, but its so quick to put up i'm not too fussy. And as i'm not wild camping i can always sit in the nearest shelter and wait for the rain to stop/slow down before pitching!
I get this, but, put the tent up when it is pissing down and sure the inside gets wet, get into it when the flysheet is up and use a piece of cloth to mop it out, takes a few minutes and then you are sorted. No problem, did it all the time in my Quasdar all those years ago in the mountains.

I get this, but, put the tent up when it is pissing down and sure the inside gets wet, get into it when the flysheet is up and use a piece of cloth to mop it out, takes a few minutes and then you are sorted. No problem, did it all the time in my Quasdar all those years ago in the mountains.
The manufacturers tell you that you can drape the outer over the fly sheet as a kind of shelter while you put the poles in but if it’s chucking it down with rain and blowing a bit I’d sooner get the inner up then out the fly sheet on and use one of those quick drying travel towels to mop it out if needed.

If there’s a shelter or trees around it’s easy enough to put the tent up out of the worst of the rain and carry it to where you want to pitch it.

Back
Top Bottom