Wireless network at home?

• Thread starter Deleted account W
  • Start date

Deleted account W

Hope someone out there can help me on this.

What I want: To be able to connect to the internet wirelessly anywhere in my house.

What I have: I connect at the moment using an ISDN line, we have no access to Broadband being poor country mice.
My lap top is an IBM Thinkpad T40 with a Centrino Processor. It has a wireless connection software (IBM), which searches for wireless connections. This also tells me my adaptor is an “Intel (R) Pro/Wireless Adaptor. LAN 2100 3B mini PCI adaptor”. (I’m just copying this down and have no idea if it’s of any help) I've attached a screenshot if that helps.

What I think I need: Something to plug into my ISDN socket to connect to wirelessly using my laptops existing hardware.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I should be buying to achieve this?

Thanks,
Confused of Nottingham.
:confused:

Attachments

• screenshot053.jpg
    screenshot053.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 103
I'm assuming you have an ISDN modem already that you plug into the phone line.

I use one of these Linksys routers -
click here

It will work with your 11Mbps IBM adapter. We run 5 PCs from a single 500K broadband connnection using a combination of the wireless technology and the ethernet (hard wired) sockets.
It will also provide you with a pretty robust firewall to prevent other people accessing your machine.

You may wish to consider it's newer brother that uses the faster technology. 54Mbps. It's no benefit to you with your current laptop but will provide some future proofing for only a small extra cost.
Click here

I've spoken to Graham who replied first and he suggested one direction I could go to achieve wireless connection.

Wessie, I have a ISDN card in my lap top which I use th connect to my ISDN socket. Will your suggested unit work with this?

By the way thanks to both of you for the advice, it's not as straightforward as I thought it would be.

whatton63 said:
I've spoken to Graham who replied first and he suggested one direction I could go to achieve wireless connection.

Wessie, I have a ISDN card in my lap top which I use th connect to my ISDN socket. Will your suggested unit work with this?

By the way thanks to both of you for the advice, it's not as straightforward as I thought it would be.

No the Linksys router will not plug into the phone line. You would need an ISDN modem plugged into the wall socket which then fed the signal into the Linksys (they have both ethernet and USB inputs).

Your laptop would talk to the Linksys using the IBM adaptor. the laptop's internal ISDN card would become redundant.

An ISDN modem will cost you about 40 quid.

Unfortuately, the popularity of broadband has meant that few hardware manufacturers have bothered making cheap stuff for ISDN. You need to make sure your community is pushing for broadband by getting people in the area to sign up as potential customers. Go here to see where your exchange is in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom