Wireless networking

BigNige

Reaction score
I want to set up a home wireless network but am fairly clueless as to what equipment I need.

I want 2 desktops (1XP, 1 '98) and a laptop (XP) to be connected and I want them all to share the broadband internet connection that this machine is on via cable modem.

I've perused many wireless sites and they are all pretty and wizzy but non give me any clues as to how to go about starting up and what equipment I need.

Cheers mates.

:)

You need a wireless access point, one pcmcia wireless card & two PCI wireless adapter cards. Something like the netgear stuff. http://www.inmac.co.uk/product.asp?sku=E332459 & http://www.inmac.co.uk/product.asp?sku=E435907,these should (will) do it (I've set this up for a friend so I know it works). All these are 802.11b which runs at a max of 11Mbps, you can get newer 802.11a gear which will run at max 54Mbps. The range of 802.11a gear is far less than 802.11b though.

Connect your cable modem to the wireless access point, set the cable modem up as a DHCP server (this should be an option) & plug everything in. Load the drivers for the cards & it should work out of the box. You can leave it at this but depending on your location I would set the encryption to stop other people logging on to your network & nicking your bandwidth, etc.

--

Simon

Not quite the black art that some might want you to belive...

Nige,

I have broadband through the phone line but I think the only difference between our respective set-ups is your cable modem goes into your PC via a Network Interface Card (NIC) ethernet connection. I use Netgear products and to keep things simple I'll tell ya what you need equipment wise.

1 X Cable/DSL Web Safe Router with 4-Port Hub (RP614) £57.57

This is the kiddie which will using NAT (share your single connection to the INternet with the machines on your home LAN. Into which you'll plug the ethernet cable from your cable modem and the Wirless Access point.

1 X Wireless Starter Kit Access Point & PCMCIA PC Card (ME102 BUNDLE) £139.82

Which connects to the Router. PC Card for the laptop.

Prices quoted from Dabs Direct http://www.dabs.com

Presumably one of the desktopsis located in close proximity to the cable modem so save yourself a few quid and locate the router here and connect via an ethernet cable one machine to the router.

Also presumably the second desktop is in another room so we need another wireless connection here. I suggest:

1 X 802.11b Wireless USB Adaptor (MA101) £64.62

All the machines will need to be set up to dynamically allocate IP addresses and the first box of trickes will use NAT to do this - job done :D

[Sent from laptop on sofa in my living room connected via wireless Netgear LAN to BT Broadband connection, whilst Mrs is doing e-mail in the office and daughter in the kitchen on the cebeebies web site!!! ;)]

I use a Solwise router into my Mac Airport wireless network. It is fantastic - easy to set up and works faultlessly.

Right, well I bought the stuff from me local pooter shop.

Bought a Belkin router, 2 Dynamode wireless hub cards and Dynamode pcmcia wireless card and...it don't work.

Fukkin' piles of shite.

I've spent all fuggin' afternoon & evening trying to get the bloody router configured...in the end the router firmware went tits up and I couldn't access it via my browser despite no end of re-setting & cold starting etc.

As you can see, my actual net connection is fine and I could get a wireless network actually set-up...but not connected to the net.

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

Where's the beaujolais?

Sorr BN but at least if you'd gone for the gear I'd mentoned I'd at least have a context with which to help - you've got the same as Father Christmas, isn't that Bandit? Tap him up for some advice.

I'm pretty sure the routers firmware is corrupted Andy but I can't get into it to update it...so it's all going back.

:(

jud9e said:
Sorr BN but at least if you'd gone for the gear I'd mentoned I'd at least have a context with which to help - you've got the same as Father Christmas, isn't that Bandit? Tap him up for some advice.

What was the stuff you recommended ?

Was thinking of adding a Wireless to my current setup in the spring as the laptop would be nice in the garden. Yeah Garden Gin and sun.

Netgear - presumably you have a USB modem rather than a router - I'm guessing either Alcatel's 'frog' or Fujitsu's item?

Anyhow I've done these before so I won't clog up the list we'll talk/e-mail direct.

In the highly unlikely event you have a router (knowing you ya jammy git you will) it is a serious piece of piss and considerably cheaper!!

jud9e said:
Netgear - presumably you have a USB modem rather than a router - I'm guessing either Alcatel's 'frog' or Fujitsu's item?

Anyhow I've done these before so I won't clog up the list we'll talk/e-mail direct.

In the highly unlikely event you have a router (knowing you ya jammy git you will) it is a serious piece of piss and considerably cheaper!!

I is a jammy git - have a solwise 715 lovely router, fw, nat etc etc I love it. yeah lets go off line.

Back
Top Bottom