wiring burnout?

peteru

Stupid boy. Took out battery. Charged it. Put it back in and then dropped spanner on live terminal. Result was a flash and a coil of smoke. Now bike only runs on one cylinder. All other electrics seem ok. Fuses look ok. My question is what do I do now? Should I check all the wiring (not that I am competent at this - clearly!) or should I just phone for pick up truck.

Any thoughts..

Thinking laterally...

Since you've had the side cover off to remove the tank...

Check the throttle cables are seated correctly on both sides. The one on the right side is particularly vulnerable to 'popping out' of its seat and will make the bike pop & bang like a good 'un - it'll feel just like it's firing on one. The cables seat down by the throttle bodies...

Mike:)

Thanks Mike.....it is defintiely only firing on one (cold exhaust on left side). Any other lateral thoughts? I need some zen!

Well, there's only two things that could go wrong. No fuel to burn or no electrics to ignight.

I guess first thing would be to briefly start the engine then take a plug out the side that's not firing and seeing if it's dry or if it has damp petrol on it. If not then it's fuel.

Try taking a plug out and holding it on the head to see if you're getting sparks (you may want to put another plug in the hole). If you get no sparks when you turn the bike over then it's electrical.

On the fuel side you're either looking at the air intake (blocked for that side?) or the injector (is it clicking when running). On the fuel side you're either looking at a damaged ECU or wiring problem.

Hope that helps as a starting point,

peteru said:
Thanks Mike.....it is defintiely only firing on one (cold exhaust on left side). Any other lateral thoughts? I need some zen!

Does the bike run if you wind the throttle open, say 50% ?. If so, then I would agreewith what Mike just said - it happened a buddy of mine after he had his tank lifted off. The rh throttle cable 'sheath' had lifted out of it's holder, causing a big imbalance between the throttles - so much so that the rh cylinder was getting way too much air and not enough fuel for it to burn properly at low rpm. It would run with the throttle wound on but roughly.
Have another look before you try anything else.

some happened to me. had tank off must have pulled the right hand side throttle cable out, ran like a bag of sh*t , took me a while to find it

:beer:

peter

Thanks for the help guys. But got nowhere. In the end called out Pat from Mobitec. He found that the central processing thingy had reset itself when I shorted the wiring. He restored some settings with his diagnostics gizmo and away I went.

Great service/good guy. Will get my next service done by him!

:)

Back
Top Bottom