Would you expect 1150's to sell at discount?

cookiemonster

i'm thinking of getting an 1150GS - either new or at max a couple of years old.

Aside from all the normal minor issues associated with the 1150GS(crap shocks, gearbox failure, corrosion, comfort, the need for aftermarket item to make the bike usable, dealer service... :) ), i'm worried about prices. Basically i dont want to be the last person to buy a "full price" 1150GS (new or secondhand), just before prices take a dip on the appearance of the 1200.

Granted in 2 years time you wont notice the difference - just as the 1100 to 1150 secondhand prices are now pretty linear. But when the 1200 appears, why would anyone pay for the "old" model at the same price as the "new" ?

So, opinions. Do I haggle looking for a discount? Do I wait three months until things are clearer?

I think it's all to do with timing. I'd think your best opportunity for a discount would be just after the new model is in the showroom. At that point, there will be a glut of used GSes in the showrooms as they're traded in for the new model. If you wait, however, you may catch a cold.

Look at Honda's experience with the introduction of the STX1300 - the old ST1100s' prices plummetted initially, then the buying public found that the new Pan wasn't nearly as good as they were expecting and the prices of ST1100s firmed up considerably (remaining new ST1100s sold very well, too).

A dealer won't discount something he knows he can sell for full price. I'd suggest that if you get any discount off the purchase price of a new GS, you're doing well.....

Good luck!

Mike:)

sounds like a challenge :)

yes, i can get panniers & topbox in (so £500'ish). It's heading towards christmas, i doubt that bikes a flowing out the showroom at the moment, I'm in no hurry, so I have some leverage.

But maybe i wait until the 1200 comes out and go for an 1150 then... ?

very difficult

Buy buy buy!

If you like using your bike in all weather and seasons, buy now!

Why mess around to save a few hundred quid, when you could be hooning around the countryside, getting to work in half the time, or even just sitting in the garage with a beer staring at your new pride and joy!

A smile on the face now is worth the possibilty of saving/spending a few hundred quid, surely!!!

:)

Good luck with your decisions !

Cheers,

Ben.

hmmm

Thought i was the only one that sat in the garage with a beer staring at me bike.

Ah - but i have something for hooning around on and getting to work in a hurry (and it gives out 80ft/lb @ ~5000 rpm and 110 rear wheel horses at ~7K, which is a bit mental on wet roads).

But i really wouldnt want to run up to Scotland / Norway / Spain on it, two up with luggage...

:)

I dont think that you will se much difference on new bikes, you might see a slight difference on the secondhand ones as Mike mentions. But to be honest I dont think there will be a huge glut of GSs around. Maybe I am wrong.

I am going to buy an adventure on Monday - I just need to ride the orange one tomorrow to see whether its a bavarian or Austrian adventure. I cant wait and BMW are offering a pay half now, pay half in two years deal with 0% finance deal til the end of the month, so...... Go on, go mad (just dont buy a flowery monkey piss yellow one, whatever the price is).

What is your relationship to Cookie exactly?

hey - there's only one cookiemonster :)

ok, i hear what you're saying, but i dont have any real doubt that a new 1150GS will be had at a discount from a dealership as soon as the 1200 appears.

The dealers have no info on the 1200, so its impossible for them to really plan for its introductino. Ergo, when it appears they're likley to have some 1150's still knocking around. A punter then has the choice of an 1150 or a 1200. There's no way that anyone is going to buy the old model at the same price as the new model...

All very difficult.

I'm thinking of waiting as i'm not really in any rush and i cant see myself really using it in january & february (ive got my other bike for occasional use anyway)

I agree, but I wonder how many will be left? In spain there are relatively few left now. Bu hey if you are in no rush and you would be happy with new or very nice second hand then why not wait?

According to my dealer (Bath Road) there is a glut of used GSes on the market right now due to a combination of fair weather wussies and the new model coming out in the spring. You should be looking to pick up a nearly new GS right now.

Mike

I cant wait and BMW are offering a pay half now, pay half in two years deal with 0% finance deal til the end of the month

clacking bell!!!!

5% is what's on offer over here at the mo.

SPC et all. Hello? Hellllllloooooooo? Anybody there???????

What happened to single spark models when they shared the showroom with twinsparkers? Can't remember anybody posting about getting a good deal on a single-sparker - unless, of course, you know different......

Mike:)

Spanish Bob said:
uuuh, no theres´two:confused:

OH NO - a second cookiemonster ?? :D

Apologies to whomever (i use cookiemonster on a bunch of other boards, but i could live with Elmo, Oscar or Grover... :) )

Still undecided. :(

cookiemonster said:
.... but i could live with Elmo, Oscar or Grover...

With names like these you must be a Brother...

Why do people use these forums to come out of the closet?

First Bob, now cookiemonster:D :D :D

cookiemonster said:
i'm thinking of getting an 1150GS - either new or at max a couple of years old.
Aside from all the normal minor issues associated with the 1150GS(crap shocks, gearbox failure, corrosion, comfort, the need for aftermarket item to make the bike usable, dealer service... :) ),

I never realised they were that bad, mine is now up for SALE

:beerjug: :D

cookiemonster said:
Aside from all the normal minor issues associated with the 1150GS(crap shocks, gearbox failure, corrosion, comfort, the need for aftermarket item to make the bike usable, dealer service... :) ),

ha ha cant scare me I an airhead......

Re: Re: Would you expect 1150's to sell at discount?

roadrider said:
I never realised they were that bad, mine is now up for SALE

Mine too
cheers cackiemonster :p

:(

i'm still looking at getting one, it's just reading this forum with all the issues with the bike is enough to put someone off :) Dont take it personally...

Is there a definitive buying guide knocking around anywhere ?

Back
Top Bottom