Bike hire in Las Vegas - touring Grand Canyon

DavidJames

Reaction score
As part of a longer vacation in June, my wife and I are planning to hire a bike to explore the Grand Canyon over a few days. We will be starting and finishing in Vegas, but i am struggling to find any companies offering anything other than Harleys - any body have any ideas?

It does not have to be a GS, but I am not sure a Harley is right for us, as we will be away for a few days and need some storage. We are not likely to go off road, but would like to see the Grand Canyon from a few different areas, and explore any other interesting sights in the area.

Recommendations on routes, points of interest, hotels would also be appreciated.

Thanks

David

anything other than Harleys - any body have any ideas?

Thanks

David
When in Rome ;)
Get the Harley, it's all part of the American experience. With regard to the Grand Canyon, you are in for a treat! :thumb

Depends where you fly into the states, but if there is an Eagle Rider outlet nearby then they do Gs's. However I would agree with the previous post, you'll find a Harley will get you talking to far more peeps on the road than any other bike in the US. Also on the long haul roads they make perfect sense.

A Harley Electraglide ahas got loads of storage space and a sound system to listen to some good'ole Contry & Western toons.

It just has to be a HArley - you be saying you won't get a burger next:rolleyes:

The advice from sven is correct. I know of no BMW rentals in the Las Vegas area. If you email your mailing address I'll send you some AAA maps of Arizona, Nevada, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon area, with some recommendations.

Charlie
cjbrink47@gmail.com

The advice from sven is correct. I know of no BMW rentals in the Las Vegas area. If you email your mailing address I'll send you some AAA maps of Arizona, Nevada, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon area, with some recommendations.

Charlie
cjbrink47@gmail.com

Hi Charlie,
Wow thanks for the offer!! I will email you my address Thanks!!

I have found out that the Vegas BMW dealer do offer rentals, so i do have the option of using a GS if I want to - I am still undecided:augie

Regards

David

Pompey

I rode around the Grand Canyon last summer on my GS. If I did it again, it would be a Harley.

Anyway, if you fall off a Harley there's less distance, so you might not ruin your goalkeeping career.
I see the skywalk is open this year too. The glass walkway out over the GC, with a mile plus of nothing below your feet. That's got to be something to do on your hands and knees.

Enjoy it whatever you decide.

Vertigo suffering, Lamble.

We went to Las Vegas 3 years ago and just hired from local Harley dealer (when in Rome), went out into desert then spent evening cruising the strip.
Left the Grand Canyon bit to the helicopter :thumb

David, Posted Grand Canyon packet on it's way to "jolly ole" England. Should be there in 4-6 days.:beerjug:

Charlie,
We received the maps and guide book in the post today. My wife is very dissapointed - you have done all of her planning for her:jibber !!!

Seriously we can't thank you enough for the help, the maps (covered in post it notes!!) the guide book as well as the invaluable advice is just fantastic.

We are really looking forward to visiting your part of the world and I will let you know how we get on.

Kind Regards

David and Maggs.

hiring a HD

Just got back from a weekend in Miami when I hired a brand new Harley (a Fatboy). Rode from N Miami to Key West and back to South Beach in about 9 hours, c 370 ,iles.

The Harley was fantastic fun, and easy enough to handle. Storage was OK...but a week later I still have a tingling in my right hand which I attribute to HD vibration!

Nonetheless, it is THE thing to ride there. (In th epast i have done the Blue Ridge parkway on a Goldwing...fabulous bike but not the character of a Harley).

Good luck in your choice...I hope you will post some pictures on the site.

regards

Simon

Just got back from a weekend in Miami when I hired a brand new Harley (a Fatboy). Rode from N Miami to Key West and back to South Beach in about 9 hours, c 370 ,iles.

The Harley was fantastic fun, and easy enough to handle. Storage was OK...but a week later I still have a tingling in my right hand which I attribute to HD vibration!

Nonetheless, it is THE thing to ride there. (In th epast i have done the Blue Ridge parkway on a Goldwing...fabulous bike but not the character of a Harley).

Good luck in your choice...I hope you will post some pictures on the site.

regards

Simon

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the info!!! How was Key West? Were you there the weekend just gone or 29th/30th? We have been there for the past couple of years for thier Conch Republic Celebrations - it is a crazy weekend!! The route down there is not the most exciting is it!

David

Key West

David

Weekend before last...and you are right, the trip down is pretty boring...a mix of strip mall, concrete...and then beautiful beaches and blue sea.

Best bits: no crash helmet, beautiful sun...and seeing some of the wacky bike riders

Worst bits: no filtering, too hot even with just a t-shirt and jeans...and too little time.

A link to some photos here: (check out the dog riding between the couple on one of the shots!)

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/simonabowles/MiamiTrip0407?authkey=VjK-dy1Gbrs

To be done once only, I think, unless you have serious R&R planned. Give me tha Rif and Atlas mountain pistes any day.

Simon

Just be careful in Vegas area on a bike...It is dangerous, not too bad when you get out of the area but Vegas itself is a nasty place to be on a bike, there are a lot of hire cars with muppets at the wheel...They kill bikers very easily....Just my 2cents.

Back
Top Bottom