Water in engine

Deadskin

Reaction score
Went for a swim at the week end :D
bike totally submerged, oil capacity rose from 1.5 litres to 5 litres :eek:
any tips on getting rid of the milky stuff or is it just a case of a few oil changes :nenau

I would imagine that a thinner flushing type oil might be a good idea to get the water out of all the nooks and crannies.....and if you have time, leave it all draining overnight in a dry place maybe???

Don't forget to drain and dry the airbox...you don't want to be sucking in another load if that's swimming too.....same goes for the 'zorst :)

Went for a swim at the week end :D
bike totally submerged, oil capacity rose from 1.5 litres to 5 litres :eek:
any tips on getting rid of the milky stuff or is it just a case of a few oil changes :nenau

Castol DWF' fluid. oil filter removed cover replaced fill the complete engine if you like , turn it over by hand/ kickstart a few times leave it over night and drain off next day.
Parrafin/diesel just as good, then a couple of litre's Asda's own £4.99 20/50 smart price oil for flushing.
It's a good idea to remove and clean the oil pump seperately if you submerged it in water that is awash with silt and mud.

what bike

Drain the oil from cold, best leave it overnight and try to get all the oil out buy moving the bike about. then refill and run it for 5 mins then drain again. when you've done this refill and it will ok. be awair the oil may go a little milky but this is nothing to worry about as its just a bit of residual water which will evaporate off and leave the engine via the breather. check things like the airbox is dry, and drain the floatbowl of the carb but other than that i wouldnt worry.
Theres far more corrosive things floating around in an engine than water.:eek:

Castol DWF' fluid. oil filter removed cover replaced fill the complete engine if you like , turn it over by hand/ kickstart a few times leave it over night and drain off next day.
Parrafin/diesel just as good, then a couple of litre's Asda's own £4.99 20/50 smart price oil for flushing.
It's a good idea to remove and clean the oil pump seperately if you submerged it in water that is awash with silt and mud.

It sounds like the engine could have "ran on" a bit after submerging, you are lucky to avoid hydraulic lock and consequent damage!
If the bike was submeged for a time then water will have found its way in via breathers, carbs etc etc
The first problem is flushing the water out, as outlined already...the bigger problem can be the the suspended solids in the water, which will remain and acts as a wear agent on the friction surfaces in the engine!:(

if you intend hanging on to the bike I strongly suggest frequent oil changes , every hundred or so miles of use, for the next 3 or 4 hundred mile as even after the water has been flushed and the residual evaporated out, the silt is the issue.

the other aspect is the electrics, in particular the connectors now start rusting and detiorating!
good luck!

you dont want to do that.

:hide

Following this thread I like the ASDA oil advise - Buy some cheap oil and do several changes over a short period.

My GS hydraulic locked a while back and it's in for a service this week... think I'll ask them to flush it with some cheap stuff.

Thanx for the replies :thumb2
I've done 4 oil flushes using tesco oil and washing the oil filter in petrol each time and i'm nearly there :clap

For the KTM owner it was the 2nd puddle and the hill i had to push it up :rolleyes:
puddle.png

Back
Top Bottom