migsel lamp bracket

guy

have migsel lamp bracket on my adventure with hella ff50 spots mounted on top just fitted hella micro DE fogs beneath on same bolt they are made of magnesium and very light they feel ok on bracket {very firm) but at about 60 and 80mph vibrate so bad they are a blur has anyone else had this prob and is the bracket going to be ok dont like the idea of it in the front wheel

Guy,

I'd suggest your bracket is going to break (and probably quite soon if it's vibrating like that regularly). You might try removing one pair of lamps to see if the problem persists. If this cures it, look for an alternative mounting system for the other lights (crash bars?).

Mike:)

Guy,

I have the migsel bracket with PIAA 1300s top and bottom, which resembles your set up but I do not have any vibration at all. The bar is very stiff so have you investigated your set up for tightness etc.

PegLeg

Try a couple of rubber washers in between the light bar and the mounting point. Mine doesn't vibrate at all even without this washer.

thanks all

thanks all think iv got it sorted I had the FF 50s mounted on the outer holes and on there own have been fine for 3 months prob only came to light when I put the fogs under bracket now moved both lamps to inner holes and and they are fine wouldnt have thought half an inch would have made all that difference but thats what she has been telling me for years

Harmonic Vibration - the root of all fatigue breakages.

it would have broken - eventually

Phil

Hi Guy,

I only read this now, good you found a cure. I'm quite sure the bar is strong enough, but you must have found an "unlucky" spot to mount the lights.

As Motomartin says, I can't exclude that it might break eventually, if it keeps vibrating up and down for a long time. If you get something vibrating in a certain frequency it can turn into harmonic vibration that amplifies itself. That's how you can make a bridge collapse by sending a column of soldiers over it, marching in a certain frequency. It's not the weight that matters, it's the frequency.

So your better half is right, half an inch can make a big difference!

Like the Gecko, I also have two pretty thick rubber rings between the beak and the bar, as extra vibration damping. I think my light setup is quite similar to yours: Hella FF50 on top, cheap fog lights (of some mysterious brand) below.

IMG_2259.JPG

Back
Top Bottom