Norton Commando Interstate Mk 11 a 1974

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What do you know about these? Vaguely thinking about one. What should I look out for?

From what I've read, & correct me if I'm wrong.

It's non electric start, gearchange on the right:eek: 5 gallon tank, not sure if as std. it has vernier adjusment on the Isolastics.

i rather fancy one myself, but it would need to be the small tank Roadster 'cos they look so sexy.

What do you know about these? Vaguely thinking about one. What should I look out for?

From what I've read, & correct me if I'm wrong.

It's non electric start, gearchange on the right:eek: 5 gallon tank, not sure if as std. it has vernier adjusment on the Isolastics.

Watch out for Frame damage - ensure you check headstock is not twisted - try not to check this while on the mainstand.

Gearbox (layshaft) bearings - hopefully replaced a long time ago with roller type.

Probably shimmed Isolastic - try and check free-play and pull back gaiters to check not seized.

Check no damage to exhaust threads and locking tabs present.

Best if points have been replaced. Check coils are undamaged.

Visual inspection of wiring loom.

Check seals on brake caliper.

Difficult to check if primary drive chain is shagged.

My 74 roadster suffered from all of above at some stage in its life ;)

I'm a bit rusty on MkIIA. I had a MkIII. Wasn't the vernier adjustment of the Isolastics introduced with the MkIII..?

I'd imagine that every Commando on the planet has had the main bearings replaced by now so it should have a "Superblend" bottom end. Typical Norton engineering......fit barrel shaped rollers to allow the crank to flex.

As for the other stuff, yes you're correct. Again, the electric start, left foot gearchange and rear disc brake were introduced with the MkIII. By MkIIA, they'd become a bit wheezy and restricted. An early 750 is actually a more exciting ride.

Have a trawl through the Norton Owners Club:

Nortons'R'Us

They were (and still are) stunning bikes, but I don't think I could get used to the brake/gear anomaly (or kick-starts on a high compression engine :blast )

On the plus side:

a) The sound from the exhausts (more like a pipe for the engine to shout down)

b) The wiring loom can be drawn on the back of a fag packet.

Mate of mine has a Dunstall Norton from the US (apparently raced there) - starts every time :thumb2

Al :D

One of my favourite bikes :cool:

I think the guys have pretty much summed it up. The gearbox bearing is quite strange when it's on its way out. The kickstart slowly works its way down as you ride along :eek The 750 was the better engine but the frames/handling got better on the later bikes, apparently, the 850 motor only came about to suit the Yanks who wanted bigger cc engines :rolleyes:

There are some really badly fitted belt drive conversions, once fitted it's difficult to go back to chain.

Cracking bikes though. You will forgive them anything once you hear that exhaust, especially if its a well sorted 750 :cool:

Classic Bike Commando "Dossier" here

everything you'll need to know i suspect :)

Thanks for the advice chaps, especially you Cookie, I've just read it all.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=270100895979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

What do you think, lives in same town as me. I've got his number, I'll have a look at the weekend. Probably go beyond what I am prepared to pay,,, I think??????????

Current thoughts are that if I don't get on with it, I shouln't lose anything. Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it!

Must admit i have always fancied one too, either a mk2 or mk3, keep us updated as to what you get :thumb

What do you think, lives in same town as me. I've got his number, I'll have a look at the weekend. Probably go beyond what I am prepared to pay,,, I think??????????

It's not original, if that matters. It's got an 18" rear rim instead of the original 19". It's also got a big disc brake on the front and the caliper doesn't look like the original Girling. It's been fitted with the US spec, or similar, handlebars. UK spec are a much nicer bend and even with those holding anything over a sustained 90 mph gets pretty tiring. Originally it would have been fitted with the annular discharge silencers with the large black caps in the centre of the outlet. It's been fitted with the earlier, 750 style, pea shooter reverse cone silencers. That used to be a desirable mod, I had them on my MkIII. I don't know how it's viewed nowadays.

Watch out for thin or pitted chrome on the fork stantions & wheels. Also; the clutch tended to slip after a while ( mine did. ) Nice bike for the year.....

Probably go beyond what I am prepared to pay,,, I think??????????
I owned one in the early eighties as my only transport for several years. Kept it off the road for a couple of years and spent a fair amount of money and most of 1989 stripping it and rebuilding it with lots of new parts etc.
First proper trip after a few shakedown rides was getting to work Swindon to Reading - came off the M4 at Junction 12 - oh dear, the gearchange lever seems to have dropped off somewhere.
Second trip the seat retaining knob dropped off.
Third trip air filter rubbers split.
Got fecked right off and sold it for less than I'd paid for the rebuild etc
Lovely bikes but they are high maintenance. When not wearing my rose tints I'd have to be paid to own one these days :eek:

Circa 1982 - the year I first joined the RAC at Earls Court after limping the last 15 miles on one cylinder. Turned out one of the choke slides had broken in half and had got sucked into the cylinder, rattled around for a bit then spat out in molten pieces - took one of the plugs with it.
Eh, I've got some stories about that Commando of mine.
Shame most of them involve breakdowns :rolleyes:

Attachments

• TEMP.jpg
    TEMP.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 404
If you do buy it - don't be tempted to attach a sidecar.

Eventually the downtube will snap away from the main spine :eek:

Attachments

• TEMP.jpg
    TEMP.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 410
They sound like a barrel of fun -

Bet the club don't have many ride outs .

Back
Top Bottom