Advice on GPS

db1

Having browsed this thread there seems to be strong support for Garmin sat navs. Am I right in thinking that the BMW Navigator is also a Garmin device? If so, are they any good, do they have Bluetooth connections etc.

The mounting they provide on the handlebars seems more natural to me, rather than under the screen where it tends to obscure the view ahead.

Any advice welcomed,

thanks

DB1

The BMW navigators are Garmin Devices, with added "bits" to make motorcycle use a bit easier... You can get something similar do the BMW dock through another source, though I've mounted my 2820 remote control on my hand-guard, so all those functions and more are just a fingertip away...

I personally like having the GPS up high in the screen, as It makes glancing at it while driving safer. I've done both high, and beside the dials, prefer the higher position. I run a tank-bag, which would make the handlebar position useless IMHO.

Al...

My two mounting methods below:
New way:
81283298-O.jpg

Old Way:
54972971-O.jpg

Thats very helpful - thanks..

I can see that the new way is better, but since I already have the GPS 60 perhaps the old way will be OK for now.

In looking at the bracket did you mount this on the windscreen mounting bolts?

Where did you get the bracket? I guess it shouldn't be too hard to make and a lot simpler than some of the others I have seen. I am not too worried about running power to the satnav - a few batteries will be OK for now. If I like this I could always do that later.

thanks

DB1

Having browsed this thread there seems to be strong support for Garmin sat navs. Am I right in thinking that the BMW Navigator is also a Garmin device? If so, are they any good, do they have Bluetooth connections etc.

The mounting they provide on the handlebars seems more natural to me, rather than under the screen where it tends to obscure the view ahead.

DB1

The BMW nav is a repackaged Garmin 2820 but it comes with a more fancy cardle in which to mount it (there are additional buttons on the left hand side of the mount). The 2820 also has bluetooth connections (music, vioce prompts and telephone via bluetooth although the music quality is poor).

IIRC, 280 is a bit cheaper than Nav3 in most markets.

I also perfer a mount on the handlebars where I can reach it easily ... the 2820 comes with a Ram u-bolt mount that will fit just about anywhere on the bars or under the screen if you prefer.

There has been much debate about the Nav3 and 2820 in terms of off road use. Bear in mind that they are primarily designed (and marketed) as STREET pilots- their off road use is limited (not impossible, but limited). have a good think about what you want to do with it before buying.

Lastly, have a look at the Zumo - again mainly designd for the street and not everyones cup of tea, but worth a look if the Nav3/ 2820 interests you.

Dale

In looking at the bracket did you mount this on the windscreen mounting bolts?

Where did you get the bracket? I guess it shouldn't be too hard to make and a lot simpler than some of the others I have seen. I am not too worried about running power to the satnav - a few batteries will be OK for now. If I like this I could always do that later.
DB1

I made the bracket... a bit of old aluminum shaped and cut/drilled to mount to the silver frame mount bolts... The Garmin bicycle mount is wrapped around a bit of wood dowel drilled and rubberized for vibration absorbtion. For safety, I loop the wrist strap around a cable in case it pops off.

Be advised that running batteries won't make you happy... The weight of the things, combined with the springy battery terminals means that within a few miles, you will have the 60C cut out on you when they break contact... best to buy a cable and wire it in. Garmin have always had problems with keeping the batteries from shaking loose... not completely their fault as the AA size standard has been violated with larger NiMH's in recent years...

Al...

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep em coming!

Here is what I am likely to go for - let me know if I am off the mark with my reasoning!

1. BMW Nav III - reason is that the majority of riding will be on roads - at least to where I can get to places for off road! This will be permanently fitted to the bike. The fitting is neat and integrated, it has BT to connect to helmet speakers and BT phone connections, so should cover all the needed requirements. It seems that TT Bike products dont cover the same level of functionality and seem to give folk a number of problems although I have TT Mobile 5 on my smartphone which works well.

I take the point about off road, so:

2. Garmin GPS 60 - (since I already have this for other uses) I will set about making/getting a mount along the lines of the one described by araspitfire or finding a cheap one on NN or TouraTech.

Let me know if this makes sense.

DB1

Back
Top Bottom