Medical cover?

mystic

Reaction score
Will be riding around Morocco late April/May. Wondering if any of you out there can advise on sources of medical insurance cover for that country ..... ie hospital treatment or emergency repatriation etc. ..... sounds like I'm tempting fate ..... but better safe than sorry me thinks! :thumb2

Mike

Will be riding around Morocco late April/May. Wondering if any of you out there can advise on sources of medical insurance cover for that country ..... ie hospital treatment or emergency repatriation etc. ..... sounds like I'm tempting fate ..... but better safe than sorry me thinks! :thumb2

Mike

Many of the 'global' travel policies will cover Morocco. Do take a little peep at the Conditions / exclusions as some policies exclude injuries from motorcycling and / or put capacity (cc) limitations in. Usually it's an exclusion of riding bikes less than 125cc, thereby stopping the usual beered up scooter hire brigade, but do check.

Many of the insurers use the same common 'medical provider', so there may be no advantage going with, say, Zurich over Axa over AA.

Loads of choice out there. Google Travel insurance or something similar. For what it's worth, mine is with the AA. It's an annual global cover; including winter sports, up to 90 days, from memory, any one trip (I wish). I have claimed under the policy when I ripped my knee cartilage in Provence. Excellent service! A £100 premium converted into a claim of well over one thousand and plus the time and effort it saved. I would always buy the maximum limits. They are 'cheap' covers; you will only end up regreting saving a few quid when they transport you by donkey not aeroplane.

PS If you have to call to make a claim, nine times out of 10 they need your policy number. The reason is that the 'service provider' works on behalf of several insurers. The 'provider' then taps into the insurer's records and can see your cover. Trying to do it without the policy number is a real pain in the arse as, quite rightly, the 'provider' has no idea who you are insured with or the level of cover.

PPS If you are on your own (or with a group) keep a copy of the policy with your passport / driving licence on you. That way if you tumble off or fall ill miles from anywhere chances are someone will know (or work out) who to call. This is just what happened when a mate of mine thought that an alpine valley would look better with a motorbike spread over it. Or at least you will have what you need if and when you are lucky enough to wake up!

Last edited:
Beware - several 'global annual policies' do not cover you for motorcycle accidents outside Europe. I have taken out specific cover for my trip to Morocco - Carol Nash do a good policy as do the Post Office.

Cheers

Beware - several 'global annual policies' do not cover you for motorcycle accidents outside Europe. I have taken out specific cover for my trip to Morocco - Carol Nash do a good policy as do the Post Office.

Cheers

That's right, mistyped Any for Many. :thumb2

Insurance Worldwide

Mike,
I've got cover for both my Wife and I from Direct Line an Annual Travel Policy.
This includes riding a motorcycle, covers Morocco and even the USA. Cost £115.00
And it comes in a ‘water resistant carrier’!! Maybe they know it will rain on the trip!!
Last year I spent £195.00 buying separate policies for each trip we made.:blast

I’m off from on the 25th April Plymouth to Sandtander and meeting a group in Marbella on the 27th before getting ferry to Tangier on 28th.

When are you travelling?

A~

Mike....check with your credit card company- you may find it's the cheapest by a fair way (last year I had global annual cover for £55)

If you travel abroad more than once a yearly travel policy can be good value. Whatever policy you take out check on any exclusions that may apply to medica conditions. Often a policy will be worded " excluding any pre-existing medical conditions " As an example of what this could mean take asthma. If excluded in this manner an exaccerbation whilst on holidays might not be covered by the insurance. When I developed heart problems I researched many policies and finally plumped for Endsleigh as it covered pre-existing illness as long as well controlled. Take your time and get it right.

The Carole Nash policy is a good one for £60 per year.

Big thanks to you all for your leads/advice etc ..... usual excellent tosser response!

Seatownmaster ..... leaving Dover April 12th. Itinerary pretty flexible but expect to be crossing over to Cueta around April 17th ish! Travelling with friend on a Honda Pan .....we expect to be in Morocco for upwards of 2 weeks ........ maybe see you on the road ..... (amongst all the other GSer's out there!!!) Enjoy your trip.

Mike

according to my insurance broker , if you have an accident on the bike then your bike insurance will cover the medical side , the travel insurance covers you for getting ill while not riding the bike . maybe im wrong

I did deffo stress travel/medical insurance. Maybe I'll try again. Get a different person. Carol Nash quoted me £36 for a week. I like the sound of £7 better, mind you. ;)

according to my insurance broker , if you have an accident on the bike then your bike insurance will cover the medical side , the travel insurance covers you for getting ill while not riding the bike . maybe im wrong

I would get a new insurance broker or check very carefuly what he has just told you.

A plain vanilla, bog standard, motor vehicle insurance covers the vehicle (assuming you have comprehensive cover) and your liabilty to third parties for damage (financial or physical) they may suffer. It does not insure your body.

If you are unfortunate enough to be hit by another motorist and it's not your fault, then the other motorist's policy would pay for damage to you vehicle and for any medical / financial claims (loss of earnings, damage to clothing etc) you may have suffered. This would be paid for under the other vehicle owner's thid party insurance.

If you simply fall off your bike (or if you have an accident where no third party is to blame) and, for example break your leg, your motor insurance (unless you have some kind of personal accident extension) will not pay you one penny.

Back
Top Bottom