How to get started?

NickC

Hi

I have a '88 R100GS and am keen to take it off the tarmac and wondered how and where to get started?

I am in North London so expect Essex and Hertfordshire are the best locations - I am not particularly keen on heading off on my own so would like to tag along on somebody elses ride-outs if poss.

In terms of off-road experience I have ridden 2-up around S America so have experience of gravel, ruts, sand and rocks etc but not of mud........

In terms of this forum is 'off-roading' the same as 'green laning'? And if not what is the difference?

Would propose to start with the GS and if I like it may look to get something more dedicated....I assume this is what people mean when they refer to 'pogo stick' bikes?

Currently have Tourances on the bike, I assume these would need to be swopped for knobbly's?

Do people ride to where the 'rides' start or use trailers (I do not have a trailer)?

Sorry for all the question, any help/guidance would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Nick

Great, you're planning to use it for what it was meant..!

The best way to get cracking is to make contact with your local area group and tag along with them on one of heir ride-outs. They'll know the best routes, and there's the confidence of being with someone who has done it before. Just make it clear you're newish, and that you'll be taking it easy.

Everyone will ride to and from the off-road bits rather than using trailers.

Having said that, yes off roading on a GS usually means green lanes (except for some notable exceptions who can ride their GS1100s like TY175s... you know who you are..) so in fact your South American experience will be pretty useful. But green lanes rarely join up conveniently so a trailered option would be difficult, you need to ride roads between 'stages'.

If it's reasonably dry, Tourances will be fine, just don't expect true off-road levels of grip from them. Acknowledge they're dual purpose and you'll do fine. If you really get into it then something more aggressive will leave you in awe of what your R100GS will do...

And finally, yes halve the weight of a boxer GS, halve the number of cylinders, paint it a bright colour and there's your pogo stick!
:beerjug:

PG

off roading

Im a pretty new starter to all this off-roading stuff too.Admitedly, I aint had a go with the Gs, as im only 10stone wet thru and may never pick it up should i drop it.However, I bought a DRZ400 18 months ago, went out green-laning with a couple of mates and now cannot get enough of it.I have sold the DR and recently got a 250 honda and now do a few low key events, such as the Red kite rally, which is on Easter sunday coming up.This "challenge" is probably "doable" on a GS, and on most of the other road going trail bikes too.Ive seen Gs's, the big Honda's and the road going KTm's in there.
Come along, say hello and have a look at the event, it based in Llandovery in Wales.You may get hooked !

Thanks for the responses... Easter Sunday is a little short on the 'notice' front but I will keep my eye out for other upcoming events.

Cheers

Nick

Type Bigbikechallenge in Google Nick.There is a bit of info on there about the Redkite and a few other "rallyes" coming up.

Hi

I have a '88 R100GS and am keen to take it off the tarmac and wondered how and where to get started?

I am in North London so expect Essex and Hertfordshire are the best locations - I am not particularly keen on heading off on my own so would like to tag along on somebody elses ride-outs if poss.

In terms of off-road experience I have ridden 2-up around S America so have experience of gravel, ruts, sand and rocks etc but not of mud........

In terms of this forum is 'off-roading' the same as 'green laning'? And if not what is the difference?

Would propose to start with the GS and if I like it may look to get something more dedicated....I assume this is what people mean when they refer to 'pogo stick' bikes?

Currently have Tourances on the bike, I assume these would need to be swopped for knobbly's?

Do people ride to where the 'rides' start or use trailers (I do not have a trailer)?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

Take a look at the events section on here. There is a get together in Llangollen at the beguining of may. An off road ride is organised and some of us are new to off roading a GS, so you won't be alone.

You'll also get to meet some nice 'if slightly mad' people :thumb

Hi

Cheers

Nick

There are some pretty safe Byways in south Hertfordshire... get a OS map and I'll give you some pointers then you can a go on your own.

Back
Top Bottom