Off road training schools

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Thinking of doing a short CBT to off-roading to give me the basics to get started: any decent schools around, preferably south of the M62?

I know about the BMW school, but I think I'd like to do it on my own bike (1100/1150) and TBH the BM day is a bit on the pricey side!

Another one well south of the M62. Malaga at Redtread.

It was excellent. I did with me old dad (65) and 40 years since he had been on a bike. I am a beginner too. The set up a beginners only course which was spot on.

See more at

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98682

You can even take the missus who can enjoy the sun and sitting by the pool or off to the Med or whatever.

Great food too.

just finished the BMW school in wales. Truly excellent. Did it on a 650 X Challenge - perfect if like me you are a newbie to offroading.

As to doing it on your own bike. Dont be silly.

Everyone dropped the bike numerous times. Some muppet (me) managed to snap the frame, and all plastic bits off the bike - obviouslt through no fault of my own (incase any of the instructors look on here). You really want your bike to look like that? It may seem like a lot of money but when you consider what you get for it. Bike, food, meal on first night, not to mention the experience of the people. My instructor had three Dakar's under his belt - it is really really cheap. Cant recommend it too highly

Booked into the Yamaha off road school (mid-wales) for next Wednesday :) Did BMW level 1 last April, so I thought I would see what these guys are about. Anyone been on the Yamaha one day course, any good?

What the man says

just finished the BMW school in wales. Truly excellent. Did it on a 650 X Challenge - perfect if like me you are a newbie to offroading.

As to doing it on your own bike. Dont be silly.

Everyone dropped the bike numerous times. Some muppet (me) managed to snap the frame, and all plastic bits off the bike - obviouslt through no fault of my own (incase any of the instructors look on here). You really want your bike to look like that? It may seem like a lot of money but when you consider what you get for it. Bike, food, meal on first night, not to mention the experience of the people. My instructor had three Dakar's under his belt - it is really really cheap. Cant recommend it too highly

I did Level 1 last weekend, What a brilliant course, fantastic very intensive instruction, you get top kit and in the end worth every penny of the £395 cost. Loads has been written on this forum about it - and it took me some convincing to justify the price tag. Having now done it, cost is (nearly) forgotten, the memories and skills it gave me are going to be with me for a while ..... I have re-booked in July - that is how good it is!

As a PS, I did it on a GS12 and am really glad I did, the course became much more relevant to the bike I ride (GSA) and gives you lots of confidence hauling the hulk around, they are such a versatile machine. :bounce1 :bounce1

I did Level 1 last weekend, What a brilliant course, fantastic very intensive instruction, you get top kit and in the end worth every penny of the £395 cost. Loads has been written on this forum about it - and it took me some convincing to justify the price tag. Having now done it, cost is (nearly) forgotten, the memories and skills it gave me are going to be with me for a while ..... I have re-booked in July - that is how good it is!

As a PS, I did it on a GS12 and am really glad I did, the course became much more relevant to the bike I ride (GSA) and gives you lots of confidence hauling the hulk around, they are such a versatile machine. :bounce1 :bounce1

Glad you (Nuff) said that, I'm doing it in May and opted for the 1200 despite a number of people advising against it. Nice one:thumb2

JDH

Thing about the BM course it that it seems more basic than it used to be. Does the course now cover:

front wheel slides, rear wheels silder, off camber cornering, wheelies, jumps, etc?

Back
Top Bottom