Squeaking Ohlins

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since I fitted my rear Ohlins I have noticed a squeaking noise when I bounce the rear up and down - anybody else had this or is it likely to be something else e.g Paralever movement?

Lord Snooty said:
Since I fitted my rear Ohlins I have noticed a squeaking noise when I bounce the rear up and down - anybody else had this or is it likely to be something else e.g Paralever movement?
Pat Creagh's used to do this - he made some adjustments, then I sat on his bike and tried it out and no more squeaks - but it did piss its oil out onto the drive

Now I understand it is back from Harris and all better now.

Mike (or anyone else for that matter), if you want me to sort out your Ohlin squeaks just send me a cheque to cover my expenses and I'll come over and sort it for you

Thanks Judgie - can I just hold fire on your generous offer at the moment. Will get back to you.

easy solution - spray penetrating oil - wd40/duck oil etc onto top and / or bottom pivot.

more difficult solution - remove unit and grease pivots.

Phil

Re: Re: Squeaking Ohlins

judge said:
Pat Creagh's used to do this - he made some adjustments, then I sat on his bike and tried it out and no more squeaks - but it did piss its oil out onto the drive

Now I understand it is back from Harris and all better now.

Mike (or anyone else for that matter), if you want me to sort out your Ohlin squeaks just send me a cheque to cover my expenses and I'll come over and sort it for you

LOL - I can do that Andy!:D

Since I fitted my rear Ohlins I have noticed a squeaking noise when I bounce the rear up and down
Lord Snooty

I had the same problem, the Doctor told me it was an age thing, and that I really should be leaving her alone

Andrew

Ohlins Squeaking

Slacken the top mount a few turns and do the same to the bottom now load up the bike with someone sitting on the saddle.
Next step, tighten fully the bottom mount and then the top, you now have the suspension mounting bush trapped at mid point and there should be no more squeaking or need to invade with arsehole spray.

This is a common fault made by even experienced techs and machanics. Never tighten any suspesion mount fully until the machine is under normal load, unfortunately access to the mounts can be more difficult but if you want it right!

Way with words!

Yes it would appear that in my case I tend to go at it a bit, perhaps it's to do with 30+ years of hearing other mechanics and myself swearing and turning the air blue when we have ..."Oh bother I've just struck a nasty blow with this very big hammer to my thumb... oh it doth smart just a might!" that sort of situation you now the thing.

As you can imagine it does have an effect upon one's way of expressing one's self. It is after all f*#king ..oops sorry...quite difficult to control your inner feeling's of pain, to project an outward impression of suave and sophisticated calm and control when you've just wopped yourself one with a Thor copper hammer or some such heavy implement......Doesn't one!

So when I submit stuff to this sight it brings back not just the memory of doing the job, it enables me to recount the joys of chasing another mechanic around the workshop....not in some Tom Fooleryway, but he'd just taken the top off of his finger and I was trying to stop the bleeding for him... and show him that I got his finger tip aswell...NICE.....rugby tackle and then fast car to Hospital....all in a days work.

So apologies for the blasphemy...chaps and chapesses.:D

Back
Top Bottom