She done it !! World Record Broken !! Annie Seel - you're great

Strange, we took a Bullet to 18,380 !
More to it I'm sure - must be the Everest connection. The road from Leh is higher than Everest Base Camp. I'll post a pic sometime. Got a pic somewhere, but can't find it now !
No disrespect as I don't know the reason beind this tale, but sounded a crap idea to me, still, I should read the tale first I guess, so hope I haven't upset anyone

Actually, the world record is for altitude on Mount Everest.

If you read the stories, she did an incredible thing, since her permit was valid for 1 day, and that day it was foggy and raining. And since she couldn't use the bike she wanted, she had to settle for a 20 year old Honda.

And this for the woman who finished the Paris-Dakar with a broken hand....

utter bollocks

i'm with fritz on this one. surely the world record is for altitude, not altitude (attitude) on everest.

otherwise i stake my claim for the world altitude record on morrone, near braemar! (859m)

salute you fritz, as the official corsican dave (and all-comers) world record holder!!!

d:gringo

ps mike: i'll have to tell you about my alternative munro list. they're called "daves" and have about as much relevance as dodgy altitude claims....:D

Re: utter bollocks

Corsican Dave said:
i'm with fritz on this one. surely the world record is for altitude, not altitude (attitude) on everest.

otherwise i stake my claim for the world altitude record on morrone, near braemar! (859m)

salute you fritz, as the official corsican dave (and all-comers) world record holder!!!

d:gringo

ps mike: i'll have to tell you about my alternative munro list. they're called "daves" and have about as much relevance as dodgy altitude claims....:D

quick AND accurate typing has never been my strength....

The record is for Mount Everest !! Not for other mountains. It's the highest anyone has gotten on a motorbike on Mount Everest.

In early 1980 two German riders and a support team of three, driver, photographer and local guide took on some of the Ecuadorian mountains as a test of the soon to be released R80 G/S.

The factory wished to se just how good they would be with all of the volcanic ash, extreme height and almost unbearable powdery dust that would be encountered.

The estimation was that the two machines that gave out 55 BHP on the factory dynomoter would only have about 15 HP left at the possible altitude attained.

In fact the bikes ran out of suds and so did the riders at approximately 4,700 metres (15,000')

I quote:- At 4,700m we're down to 1st gear and just barely going. Our rear wheels dig deeper into the ash. We've got hands full just to keep the machines upright as we scale grades of 35 - 40%: a sort of dance on the volcano. The rumoured cabin, put there as a shelter for mountain climbers, is actually there, just 150 feet above us. A ridge of lava and ash the last obstacle between us and our goal. Unquote.

They didn't make it as they only got to within 60' of the cabin!

What one has to remember is that they were working at -5ºC at this altitude and the machines weren't overheating but they weren't cold.

I can tell you one thing though, the rear wheel had an axle going through it and the rear setup was twin shock.

That should put into perspective, just what that girl did on her old Honda!

Mick.

Source:- BMW Journal 6/80 pages 6 to 15.

I'm sure it's no mean achievement, but my point is why ? we end up with things like 'highest pogo stick on Everest' etc etc.
I would take nothing away from her achiements in Paris Dakar etc which are exceptional, I'd much rather credit those achievemnts.
Still, each to there own ! Boing Boing :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom