Tobinator Adventure progress & price question

Tobers

Reaction score
Hi all - here's the latest on the Tobinator Adventure situation.

The "new bits" are all measured up so a prototype set can be machined. Some complicated helicopter parts are currently occupying the CNC machine and probably will do for the remainder of next week. Hopefully there will be a chance of me getting my hands on the prototype next weekend.

Then, testing, mods, testing, mods etc. before giving 2 or 3 lucky punters a chance to try them out and report back on extensive field trials in the Gobi desert, or possibly the South Downs. If everyone is still alive, I'll unleash them on the unsuspecting public.

I'll post pics up as soon as I have them.

Now for your bit. I need some feedback on price. For the Adventure model, I will be supplying the normal Tobinator risers, plus the secret "new bits" (ooohh!), plus standard GS screen mounting pieces (cunning huh). I'm going to be keeping the cost down as low as possible, but all in all, its going to be about £90 I reckon. Its obviously more than the standard GS solution, so I need to know if its too expensive or if you're all rich enough to stump up the cash. Please let me know on this thread.

Cheers

Tobers

Adv Tobinator

Tobers,

Heard very good things about your standard model...If you're still looking for folks to test them I'd be interested in giving one a shot here in the good old west - it'd be getting a lot of on and off road exercise if that's what you're looking for...If you're interested please let me know via PM what you need by way of feedback and how much $$$ you need...

FYI - $142 is basically what it would run in the states at the price you quote (given the current exchange rate)...that might be bit high for most folks as it is about half a new Aeroflow or CeeBaileys...Granted I have a very good idea where the additional cost is coming from but, wanted to be honest with you...believe me I'm dealing with price point issues on my little venture as well and it only get's more interesting when you start working with the distributors...

BTW, I tried to send this to you via PM but your box is full...:nenau

-Todd

Hmmmmmmmm....

Black anodised, with fancy slots for infinite adjustment. I'd say £75 would seem a fair price, £90 just about pays for one of those screens from the states that you can get up to 5" wider and 8" taller and persuade the cheesey one to bring it back for you! If they're as good as people say though i may still be tempted so keep us all posted. For 90 quid i would prefer to try them out first. I can come down your way to borrow a set for a trial run of an hour or so. Would appreciate a test run and if they're good i'll rave on about em as much as i do about two bros exhausts!:D

I`ll give some a trial (although £90.00 seems a bit hefty!) I collect my Adventure on Sept. 3rd and would have a ride down to try `em out.

Will you be able to supply just the "new bits"?

I've got the original Tobinator Mk1 and a standard screen, but I've acquired an Adv screen & mounts, so it would be useful to compare the difference and the £90 includes a lot of stuff I've already got.

£90 seems steep, the beauty of the original tobinator is the price, its cheap enough that its worth a punt to see if it works - and no biggy if it doesn't - not that I'm saying it doesn't work - not tried one so don't know if it does for me.

I am sure the additional cost is justified, unfortunately my current situation cannot justify spending £90.

All the best with your venture

John

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks chaps - keep it coming. Sounds like £90 is a bit OTT.

I'll get the thing made up and see what can be done to keep the costs down. Price is always a problem doing small numbers of precision bits unfortunately.

Paul - good idea! A bit of slicing and dicing. Shouldn't be a problem.

Tobers

I know £90 is ott but i am also aware of the manufacturing costs involved. Would be prepared to pay for the product if i could get a trial run on a demonstrator set and they worked. See what you can do and let me know.

Cheers

Rich

Just riden to Fishguard and back. Where do I send my £90? As long as it bloody works

If it works the price is less of an issue

Initial thought is that 90 is on the high side but, and I reckon this is the key - if they work then fine. I spent 100 plus on a Cee Baileys screen and whilst it was an improvement it didn't fix the problem so that seemed too expensive.

Good luck with it, I'm 20 minutes from Guildford if you need a local Adventure to try them on.

Richard

Adv Tobinator

Cheers Richard - keep an eye on the board here as I'll be asking for 2 or 3 test volunteers for the Adv version in the next 2-3 weeks (assuming the bloody prototype works of course!).

Me, me, me, pick me!!!

You need a high mileage test rider that gets all over the place, in town or city, motorway or country lane, tarmac or dusty trail.... i'm yer man! 15-20k a year in all conditions and would certainly put a pair through their paces!

Price down maybe

Cheers mate - will work out an entertaining method to recruit volunteers shortly.

In the meantime, I've had another design conference with Richard, Richard and Wayne (expert machinists they claim). As a result, we've figured out a cool way to get around one of the main design headaches with the Adventure bits. This should significantly reduce machining and the price.

Machining scheduled to take place next week. Will post photos on my site as soon as I have them.

Ref buying a tobinator....

I've been at it for over an hour now, trying to sort out a pay pal account and a fastpay account, i'm now getting bored... all i want to do is order a tobinator for my 1150 and get some money to you... any suggestions?

Hi Bryn,

You can send me a cheque mate. I'll send you a PM, but if you dont get it email me at tobers@stopthebuffeting.com and I'll sort you out.

Sorry for the hassle with the PayPal thing. It's usually pretty smooth but can occasionally be a hassle. I cant afford the ridiculous amount of money that banks etc. want for a "proper" credit card acquiring account so PayPal & Fastpay are the next best alternatives.

Cheers

Tobers.

Ref payment for tobinator

Thanks for quick reply. i'll persevere with trying to set up fastpay account for a few more days, and if unsuccessful i will go along the cheque route! (managed to get most of the set up done, just need to wait 2-3 days and contact bank)

Thanks, bryn:)

I cant remember for sure, but I think that you can send a payment before receiving the credit card confirmation number thing. Not that I'm desperate to get my hands on your money or anything of course! :D

Back
Top Bottom