Worst lockout to date..Quest2

new gser

Out for what was supposed to be a tour of the peaks this weekend. Two bikes, two Quest2s with the routes downloaded to each unit from the same PC. That said, original route was created in V9, uploaded to PC with V8, edited and then sent back to both units. Original routes/waypoints deleted.

On the route both units lost sat reception whilts under a few leaves!, following which a new experience for me. Neither unit managed to regain satellite reception and both units refused point blank to accept any input from any buttons except the off. IE, no menu options, no find options etc

On turning the unit off and back on, both units immediately returned to the 'accquiring satellite' screen and again, no other inputs accepted.

A reset power off produced exactly the same results as above?

A full master reset did get the units working again, but needles to say all route and waypoints lost and a good days riding spoilt.

No big deal on the basis we were just out for the day.... but had this happenend halfway around a weeks tour one woul have been knackered.

Any ideas anybody?

Could I have found a way to reset without losing the data. Could I have prevented the lockout? Any views on what may have caused this?????

Cheers:thedummy :thedummy :thedummy :thedummy

Out for what was supposed to be a tour of the peaks this weekend. Two bikes, two Quest2s with the routes downloaded to each unit from the same PC. That said, original route was created in V9, uploaded to PC with V8, edited and then sent back to both units. Original routes/waypoints deleted.

On the route both units lost sat reception whilts under a few leaves!, following which a new experience for me. Neither unit managed to regain satellite reception and both units refused point blank to accept any input from any buttons except the off. IE, no menu options, no find options etc

On turning the unit off and back on, both units immediately returned to the 'accquiring satellite' screen and again, no other inputs accepted.

A reset power off produced exactly the same results as above?

A full master reset did get the units working again, but needles to say all route and waypoints lost and a good days riding spoilt.

No big deal on the basis we were just out for the day.... but had this happenend halfway around a weeks tour one woul have been knackered.

Any ideas anybody?

Could I have found a way to reset without losing the data. Could I have prevented the lockout? Any views on what may have caused this?????

Cheers:thedummy :thedummy :thedummy :thedummy

Out in the Peaks today - everyone else was having probs with their Garmin 'xxxx' whatevers - had to rely on my Quest 2 to get them to their destination - don't know what buttons you guys are pressing but mine has always worked fine - probably cos I dropped it once!

What caused it ???

Frankly, I think the Quest 2 is a flawed unit.

First thing is to make yourself a nice cup of tea, pick out a comfy chair and probably get yourself a few bike mags to read....because it's time to phone Garmin Customer Services.

All the stories of being on hold for an hour are true but once you get through they're very helpful.

Explain the problem, tell them you have no faith in the unit and you've got a big trip coming up, then insist on a replacement GPS - a 2720 would be my choice, but you might want to go for a Quest 1 and a C510 - it depends on what you want.

They will want you to send your Quest 2 in and they'll replace the aerial and give it the once over. Go for that option if you're feeling generous, otherwise stick to your guns. When you get it back, give it a week and then call Garmin to complain again. This time they'll want to replace your unit with another Quest 2. Again, give it a week or two and then get back on the phone. Now is the time to get the deal you want.

This is what happened to me and Garmin were eventually very helpful. I even swapped my powered Quest mount for a 2610 mount and since then everything has been rosy. Mind you I didn't realise at the time that the 2610 was being replaced by the 2720 (I know, I know :rolleyes: ) so I swapped for a 2610, but now I would expect them to swap for a 2720.

Sorry it's happened to you as well but maybe Engineer has discovered the real secret to making a Quest 2 work ;)

What caused it ???

Frankly, I think the Quest 2 is a flawed unit.

First thing is to make yourself a nice cup of tea, pick out a comfy chair and probably get yourself a few bike mags to read....because it's time to phone Garmin Customer Services.

All the stories of being on hold for an hour are true but once you get through they're very helpful.

Explain the problem, tell them you have no faith in the unit and you've got a big trip coming up, then insist on a replacement GPS - a 2720 would be my choice, but you might want to go for a Quest 1 and a C510 - it depends on what you want.

They will want you to send your Quest 2 in and they'll replace the aerial and give it the once over. Go for that option if you're feeling generous, otherwise stick to your guns. When you get it back, give it a week and then call Garmin to complain again. This time they'll want to replace your unit with another Quest 2. Again, give it a week or two and then get back on the phone. Now is the time to get the deal you want.

This is what happened to me and Garmin were eventually very helpful. I even swapped my powered Quest mount for a 2610 mount and since then everything has been rosy. Mind you I didn't realise at the time that the 2610 was being replaced by the 2720 (I know, I know :rolleyes: ) so I swapped for a 2610, but now I would expect them to swap for a 2720.

Sorry it's happened to you as well but maybe Engineer has discovered the real secret to making a Quest 2 work ;)

Dunno about secrets - but I have always updated the unit's firmware and the Mapsource software (not the maps, I'm still on version 8). I use the computer to plot a route by manually placing via-points to force the route that I want.

Once the route is complete I then go back and remove the intermediate via-points (this way it doesn't seem to re-calculate the route) I don't know if this is the correct way of doing it but it works for me. I then download the route to Quest 2 an off I go.

Having said all that - I always take back up in the form of a map! The Quest 2 is the only GPS I have owned so I can't compare with others - I like it because it is battery powered, the battery easily lasts for a days riding, it has all of Europe stored on it and even if I don't have a route programmed it still gives the LAT and LONG to look on on my map. Maybe one day it will lock-up and I'll then curse it - but so far so good.

Once the route is complete I then go back and remove the intermediate via-points (this way it doesn't seem to re-calculate the route) I don't know if this is the correct way of doing it but it works for me.
Try using the Point tool. Click - then drag the route (string) to the roads/point you want. In other words, you don't need to add 'via points.' I'm not sure how you have managed to prevent Mapsource re-calculating when you remove via-points; a recalculation is performed as soon as you save the changes. Anyway, it's not necessary.

Many who bought Quest 2s in the early days gave up in frustration. However, recent 'happy' tales make me wonder if Garmin has sorted this unit's problems in the later builds. If so, this would be excellent news; the original Quest was (still is :thumb2) an excellent bit of kit, but limited by memory. I still use mine on a Bonnie, and a 2610 on the GS. I prefer the Quest :clap

I hope that Garmin have 'improved' the Quest 2 because, on paper at least, it's the perfect GPS for my needs. I really liked my Quest 1 and the idea of having all of the European maps preloaded, plus postcode search & the downloadable POI's sounded like the ideal upgrade. I know some people don't like the screen size but I never found it to be a problem & I preferred the buttons to the 2610 touch screen. Add in its small size and battery back up and it's a winner :thumb2

Sadly it didn't work out that way for me.

The whole charade cost me a pretty penny, especially when I think about the price that 2610's dropped to right after I got mine in exchange :spitfire but as I've said before, I know I can rely on my 2610.

Hey-ho :rolleyes: , it's only money :D

thanks for the replies

Cheers chaps. I do like the benefits of the Quest so will stick with it.

That said, will try to get a replacement item out of them and see if the later units are any better. Although, this is the first major lockup I've had.

Cheers again, stay safe

Try using the Point tool. Click - then drag the route (string) to the roads/point you want. In other words, you don't need to add 'via points.' I'm not sure how you have managed to prevent Mapsource re-calculating when you remove via-points; a recalculation is performed as soon as you save the changes. Anyway, it's not necessary.

Many who bought Quest 2s in the early days gave up in frustration. However, recent 'happy' tales make me wonder if Garmin has sorted this unit's problems in the later builds. If so, this would be excellent news; the original Quest was (still is :thumb2) an excellent bit of kit, but limited by memory. I still use mine on a Bonnie, and a 2610 on the GS. I prefer the Quest :clap

I'm still a little confused - doesn't Mapsouce automatically put a little black dot (waypoint) at each point you click on when dragging 'the string' around the map?

Back
Top Bottom