How do I remove version 8NT to make room for version 9NT??

Thermo King

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,
I have a BMW Navigator 111. I am unable to load all of the new V9NT maps because V8NT seems to be taking up too much space in the memory. Version 8 is disabled on the unit but I would like to remove it altogether if possible.
Does anybody know how it's done??

Regards,
Kieran.

Hi Guys and Gals,
I have a BMW Navigator 111. I am unable to load all of the new V9NT maps because V8NT seems to be taking up too much space in the memory. Version 8 is disabled on the unit but I would like to remove it altogether if possible.
Does anybody know how it's done??

Regards,
Kieran.

Hi Kieran,
I guess your talking about the memory within the Nav111? If so, I believe that when you upload/Transfer the mapping from Mapsource to your Nav111, if you have only selected the V9NT map segments then all your old mapping on the unit will be wiped clean durring the transfer process. This should then allow you to fit all of V9NT.

So make sure you have only V9NT segments selected, then transfer them the usual way. Hope this has helped.

Thanks Shedracer. Will try again soon. When I try to load V9 it tells me I'm trying to load a file more than twice the available capacity of the unit. I forget the exact figures. I just managed to squeeze in Uk/Ireland/Belgium/Holland/France. It doesn't seem to be erasing version 8.

Regards,
Kieran.

Thanks Shedracer. Will try again soon. When I try to load V9 it tells me I'm trying to load a file more than twice the available capacity of the unit. I forget the exact figures. I just managed to squeeze in Uk/Ireland/Belgium/Holland/France. It doesn't seem to be erasing version 8.
While assumption is rightfully known as the mother of all c*ck-ups, I'm going to make the assumption that the cartography update process for the NAVIII is similar to that for the SP2720 & SP2820.

In that case, and unless you particularly want to have bits of both CN8 and CN9 cartography on your NAVIII, then you you shouldn't be transferring map segments to your GPSR using MapSource at all. Instead, you should use the CN9 NT update DVD which will replace the CN8 NT cartography on your NAVIII with CN9 NT cartography.

Map segments that you load to the GPSR via MapSource live in a completely separate and independent area of memory to the pre-installed cartography. You cannot delete the pre-installed cartography, only replace it with the Garmin update routine.

HTH, Phil

:rob One more thing...

Before you run the cartography update, make sure that you have emptied the supplementary memory area of the cartography that you've already loaded via MapSource, custom POI's etc. This is because CN9 NT takes up more space than CN8 NT and the "protected" memory area needs to expand as part of the update into the supplementary memory area. If that's full and it can't expand then the update fails and leaves the GPSR as an expensive paper weight until it's been fixed by Garmin.

You cannot delete the CN9 maps that you've already put in the supplementary memory area, so what you need to do is just select one small map tile in MapSource and transfer that to the GPSR. This will replace all the stuff that you've previously loaded in there and frees up as much memory as possible.

Sorry to cut in but I have a similar issue with my 2820. When I loaded V9 it works fine on the unit but I also seem to still have v8 loaded. I can disable v8 and run v9 or vice versa, I can also enable/disable both.

I would like to get rid of v8 to make more room for MP3s (I have only got room for 4 albums at the moment) but I don't know how to do this...

any suggestions?

Sorry to cut in but I have a similar issue with my 2820. When I loaded V9 it works fine on the unit but I also seem to still have v8 loaded. I can disable v8 and run v9 or vice versa, I can also enable/disable both.

I would like to get rid of v8 to make more room for MP3s (I have only got room for 4 albums at the moment) but I don't know how to do this...

any suggestions?
See my two posts above yours. Are you sure you have all of the CN9NT detail mapping in the unit? Did you use the Garmin CN9NT update DVD or did you transfer maps to your 2820 with MapSource?

I used the update DVD from Garmin, but I don't recall being given the option to delete v8 as part of the instal

I used the update CD from Garmin also. I expected it to overwrite Version 8 but that obviously didn't happen. Have just sent an e-mail to Garmin. Will report back when they reply. Thanks for the advice so far.

Regards,
Kieran.

I used the update DVD from Garmin, but I don't recall being given the option to delete v8 as part of the instal
There's no specific option to delete the V8 maps, it all happens automatically as part of the update process. Was your SP2820 connected to your PC throughout the upgrade process? And did it sit there for about an hour saying "transferring data" or words to that effect while the Garmin updater routine was running? Or did you initiate the transfer the V9 map segments from MapSource after the cartography was updated on your PC?
I used the update CD from Garmin also. I expected it to overwrite Version 8 but that obviously didn't happen. Have just sent an e-mail to Garmin. Will report back when they reply. Thanks for the advice so far.
Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what the resolution is. Personally, I'd suggest a call to Garmin on 0808 238 0000 as this will get a quicker response than an e-mail in my experience and also gives you the opportunity to talk the technician through what you did and them to talk you through what you need to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom