Veradero 1000

y2blade

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
as im sure you all know i am looking at getting a 3rd bike,i have been looking at V-strom1000's but the ones ive seen so far have been in very poor condition (lots of corrosion) compaired to my 6year old fireblade

so now my focus has turned to the Honda Veradero1000 (i have a demo ride booked for saturday)....anygood? rubbish? whatever?

all feedback greatfully recieved :beerjug:

i had one on from abingdon a few years ago while my blackbird was in for some repars.
super bike but very very juicy:thumb

as im sure you all know i am looking at getting a 3rd bike,i have been looking at V-strom1000's but the ones ive seen so far have been in very poor condition (lots of corrosion) compaired to my 6year old fireblade

so now my focus has turned to the Honda Veradero1000 (i have a demo ride booked for saturday)....anygood? rubbish? whatever?

all feedback greatfully recieved :beerjug:

Stop fekking about and buy a KTM or a GS:thumb

Shep

I know a couple of guys who are ex-GS & RT owners and they rave about them. In terms of value for money it is a good buy. Both report it to be allot smoother than the BMW. Both have also said that even with two up and full luggage it pulls like a train. Aparently @ 100mph two up and full luggage you open up and off you go. Another chap I spoke to reported that he did 600miles (in one day) in Spain two up fully loaded doing 120 most of the way with no probs. These are silly speeds but it's proof the bike can perform. It's not really built for a great African Adventure but for Europe it's brilliant.
A great "trailly styled" tourer. With scorpion pipes they sound really nice. It's a VTR engine from what I remember them saying. The lights are BRILLIANT!!!:) The pillions also told me it's allot more comfy than the BMW.
Check out xrv.org.uk for more info on these. (don't know if I'm allowed to do that, moderate if not):augie

Stop fekking about and buy a KTM or a GS:thumb

Shep

tbh not really interested in KTM (i dont think it will be big mileage comfy?) and my g/f says im not old enough to buy a GS ATM

:rob

also like the look of AfricaTwins

i got some research to do :)

I've looked at both a Varadero & a Strom as possible replacements for my 1150. For the road riding that I do either would be fine but the main downsides I've found are that the Varadero is thirsty and earlier Stroms are a bit iffy on the build quality.

You can buy hard luggage for both & aftermarket heated grips etc..., it's just a case of fitting a Scottoiler and either seem quite sensible alternatives :nenau

Sticking with the GS for now though :)

I've looked at both a Varadero & a Strom as possible replacements for my 1150. For the road riding that I do either would be fine but the main downsides I've found are that the Varadero is thirsty and earlier Stroms are a bit iffy on the build quality.

You can buy hard luggage for both & aftermarket heated grips etc..., it's just a case of fitting a Scottoiler and either seem quite sensible alternatives :nenau

Sticking with the GS for now though :)

the varadero is a very capable bike .. alittle heavy but qhite fast
it will tour longer than you can and has a smashing engine

the horror stories you hear about fuel will be from habitual thrashers i have a o2 carbie [renowm for being heavy on juice
but if you ride it as it was designed you will get about 185 to the light
[ no fuel guage ] 18 to 19litre s used 4 to 5 to go ..thats 40 plus every time
alittle less for town work
its only 5 speed but top gear roll ons at 80 will blitze the gs
the front suspension is a bkit sloppy on the o2 better on the inj models hypo progreesive spring s will cure the understeer based on a long tour the vara will do similar times to the gs but is very capable in all but the balls out situations
tyhe v strom is 40kgms lighter ..as standard rides a little chopper like
it needs alittle work to get it handling right
rasing links ....1" rear drop forks 5mm road biased tyres and you really do have a gs beater [ que howls of derision ] in big trailie terms its fast
the motor is a peach and makes its power slightly differently than the gs which is stronger lower down but asthmatic higher up ...[ the 5 thou cough two up is a pain ]
it revs to 9500 and makes more power higher up but has to be revved more when going for the more spirited ride but when you get used to it its well fast
its imprtant to do the suggested mods and the difference from standard is prounounced
two up it has a much more impressive motor you just need to spin it more ..it will hold a respnsive gear longer you have to feel your way onto it
take the standard bike ..do the un expensive mods ..there aint much in it
the brakes lack some initial bite but when you get used to applying the correct pressure there well good enough [ you do have to squeeze but they are effective and have never failed [ahem ]

the o/d 6th gear comes into its own at about 90mph two up ...the whole ride is a lot less stressed at these speeds as a 110mph cruser its cool

servicing costs are home done nothing major until 16000miles [valves ]
ive done 10000 between the two of them 0 servicing costs 0 problems

must admit as a ex blackbird person [60 and 77000 miles ] [ servicing 0 problems ..one rectifier ] im tempted by the gtr 1400 ......as my uber tourer early doors but we will see
ps this is the best screen combination this side of a ford mondeo its unreal at big speed its like sitting in the front room
for long distances it a huge plus for me and margaret just no buffeting at all
the madstad brackets are a absalute must you can still see over the screen if you had a lighter fitted big cigar flip uplid 100mph na bother

Attachments

• tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 302
:confused: you can have a lot of fun for a fraction of gs money
i never felt any better on the gs .....?
i get a lot of satisfaction setting up me own bikes ..no computers ..:thumb2
i have been put off dealer interaction ..i went 35years without it and then became the most moaning customer in the history of biking

now i take me own decsions service me own bikes and hope for the best
ive never been stranded anywhere on a jap bike without being able to get it fixed with out any fuss ..simple as that ....??? i trust the japs not the germans any more[ the german back up is very good ...as long as you dont want to see your bike in a hurry ]the jap back up .. i dont know never had to complain ....:confused:

Attachments

• 6276.jpg
    6276.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 305
srr idoors rreakons the strom is as comfy as somthing very comfy
prefers it to the vara and anything else really ..very roomy seat [the bike that is.. not margaret ]:cool:

Attachments

• hol (10).jpg
    hol (10).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 297
style wise i like the strom ......

Attachments

• hol (3).jpg
    hol (3).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 289
then the gs ... then the vara but there all pig ugly really

Attachments

• vala.jpg
    vala.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 284
+a matter of opinion really....i like broad beamed girls ... just to prove the vara lads arnt all boring heres our off road day out ..... http://media.putfile.com/off-road-wales..no not on silly fat bikes ..proper ones ....???
strange site really ... two wheels ..your in ..... no one gives a dam ....half the guys on it ride all sorts thunderace ..pans ...varaderos ???even ....

Attachments

• zzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzz.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 285
:(
Ask Kyle what he thinks of a valarrdarrooooo
a well set up vara can out gs a gs at road touring ......yeh the gs is more nimble in the very tight stuff but if your two up how hard do you want to push ....??
the vara ride quality [very harsh front 1200gs ] is better..... comfort and protection is ...better
engine is better .. if you ride one well set up you would be surprised
i think kyle is a off road adventure type ... the vara is a poor third in that department the best bike would be .....a 650 strom with aggressive tyres ....640 ktm maby a 650 beemer dakar
but for true off road ability they all suck badly a 225 serrow would piss over the lot of them ??????900quid tarra :D :D :D
i dunno when i had my 1150 i really enjoyed it ..thus the 1200 [disaster of biblical propotions ] both of them
[ yes i am bitter why the hell shouldnt i be ]???
but .... waky waky theres some very capable bikes out there
strange thing when i had the 1150 i was in a miniority ..i quite liked that and itgave me good service
then charlie and ewyen did their thing ... suddenly its the new black

i bought the 1200 after a very pleasent 18 months on the 1150 [big error ]
now ive moved on its turned full circle if i take the strom anywhere people are intrested [ wots it like ect ect ]
never seen one before ect cet
now the gs...es are almost the new xr3 whats the difference betwwen xr3 and a asshole not everyones got an xr3 :rolleyes:

that chronic unreliability extortianate servicing plus a uneasiness with the elite:eek: bmw comunity thing always having to justify you opinion against the 12500 post people [tunnel vision ??] [is it me or them thats mad ??]]
the truth is that it is a smashing bike but not that great ....sold on the back of rave reviews from ex prodie racers
the fact is some of the failures could be terminally chatastrophic if they happen at the wrong time jamming throttle [ redline ] brake failure same time ..err indoors refusing to get back on it ...... nope youll never convince me .... safty is paramount ..once youve lost confidence theres no way back [ if it was you and err indoors you would not want to ride it again } why would you ???
i dont want to be a test rider for new systems ..i just want to ride ... i hope it never happens to you ...it could be your last post [pun]
let go try somthing else you never know ....you might like it ???:aidan l

in the mean time ill say what i think :clap

Attachments

• IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 270
If you're not big enough to make your own mind up on what bike you want to ride, then she's probably right ;) :dabone

:augie

giant trailey style bikes are ALL NEW to me as a potential buyer :nenau

i figured this was the ideal place/guys to ask :thumb2

fanum i look forward to seeing you at the hogroast :beerjug: you can buy me a drink for being a honourary tosser :beer:

brain Storm and Varadero playtoy thingys...

Had those in me mind too once, coming over from a sportbike. Thank god didn't buy one.

If you look them from the tar-only revvy riding, having no sense yourself how to estimate bike's real character (i.e. only ridden jap bikes previously and don't want any change), cleaning-polishing after every day the few particles of dust off, clean&oil the chain carefully etc "gay" style of biking, they're very nice (looking) plastic toys to own of course.

But from my, personal, point of view:

Five words: they're sheet high revving engines

Four words: way too much plastic

Three words: boring jap crap

Two words: get GS

One word: sorted

:thumb2

hi blade

i really dont like telling anyone which bike is the best.they are as different as we are.

for my own preference,i much prefer the gs1150 over the vara.
as minky said i like to do offroad stuff and find that the 1150 is a real tank.
yes that means its heavy,not the fastest,not the best handling.but it will get you where you want to go and if you drop it,what is there to break?

as a pure mile munching tourer the vara has to win hands down.it is more comfortable,quicker,better protection and as for fuel consumption?
mine was the fuel injected and i dont think it was any worse than the 1150.

if only honda had put that engine into a real dual purpose bike i wouldnt even give the bm a second glance.

as for the 1200gs what limited experience i have had of them i didnt like.

but thats only my opinion.if you get a chance go out and ride them then decide for yourself.

for the real off road i use a dr650.i have changed the gearing on it for better offroad use and its a real laugh:thumb2

good luck whatever you do:rob

I went back to a Vara for a few months.

Agree to what Minky and Kyle have said but just to add that there are some real bargains to be had if you can buy privately. I picked up a one year old model with all the bits and luggage for £4500 - that's nearly £4000 off the list.

Although it is a very good bike, I did find that it didn't like being thrashed in the real back road twisties - not surprising given its weight and limited front suspension. My g/f loved it though, and she doesn't like the KTM 950 Adv I replaced it with at all. I on the other hand think it's a fire breathing demon on a mission from hell and I love it!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom