France - Your Favourite Places

Python

Hi There,

My young lady and I are off to France in June for two weeks.

We are in Arromanches for the first week, then Royan (nr Bordeaux) for a few days in the middle then heading sort of Nrth East round the bottom of Paris up to Calais.

We have a few ideas regards places to visit, but wondered what were your favourite places - we have Carnac, Normandy Beeches, Le Mans, Mont St Michel, Poitiers, maybe Metz or Rheims on our way back up.

Any other places greatfully received.

Thanks

Jerome

The Gorge du Verdon is really spectacular if you get over than way - about 1hr 30mins north of Cannes - gorgeous twisties and views to boot!

Its the roads that Clarkson raced the climber on and reckons the North and South Gorge roads are the two most challenging roads in France. I don't think they are but they are great fun and worth any detour. :thumb2

Reims is nice. Lovely pedestrianised area in the centre. Comfort Hotel just off the city centre has a secure underground car park. Many of the more traditional hotels do not have their own car park

I also like Beaune. Cheap & cheerful Ibis hotel just outside the city wall. Save your pennies on the accommodation and splash out in one of the excellent restaurants in the city. Eat boeuf bourgignon in Burgundy, yum, yum.

Both worthy of more than an overnight stop.

There again, I like French wine and took advantage of a tour around some vinyards & champagne houses. If this sort of thing appeals to you then let me know and I'll look up some details of the ones I did.

Try the Gorges du Tarn, some nice little hotels on the river around peyreloux and Le Rozier. Canoe hire available and reccommended, it's also handy for the Millau bridge.
Chinon in the Loire area is also a favourite of mine, and perhaps even visit the battlefields around the Somme.
Must admit France is my favourite european destination with Italy running it a close second.

As usual, let Michelin be yoiur friend and guide.

There is a Michelin map, I will have to dig the number out, which simply shows all the 'Beautiful towns, cities and villages'. You will not go far wrong. There is a website with all the details http://www.beyond.fr/villages/idxplusbeaux.html

This is the IGN version. I prefer Michelin maps but this will do: France, Flowered Towns & Villages - IGN (920) Map

If you really want to get into the whole French thing, arm yourself with a Michelin Green Guide.

Good place to overnight on way back to Calais

Hi Jerome,

We stayed in an excellent place on way south from Calais in March (could be good for you on your way back to Calais). Fabulous chambres d'hote (B&B) - quite a posh one but well worth it - superb food, lovely room, beautiful place. :thumb2

And parked the GS in their wine-shed/outhouse. Run by friendly Dutch people. Not a fabulous tourist destination but a highly recommended first or last night stop to/from Calais. In village of Danizy just off J12 of the A26 motorway.

Cheers & have a great trip.

TC :beerjug:

www.domaineleparc.fr/

Attachments

• DomaineduParc.jpg
    DomaineduParc.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 389
Yet to stay somewhere that hasn't been interesting. If you go as far as the Loire then Saumur is a nice medieval town, and a good base for touring the local Chateaux.

Back
Top Bottom