France and two weeks to wander

(RIP) Perryhill

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My first bike trip into France. Having read all threads I've decided if my mate can't take the time off, then I'm going on my own for a couple of weeks at the end of June/early July.
I think a maximum of 300 miles on the first day so I feel like I've got somewhere and thereafter a more leisurely pace will do, the only place I need to get to is near St Tropez to see an old friend. I would also like to spend a few days (or maybe more) exploring the Dordogne about which I've heard so much - as well as the various Gorges.
I've got a route back from Menton, courtesy of this forum, that follows the Route Napoleon, so now I just need advice on a scenic route south (garmins files gladly accepted) and nice places to stay where I won't look like some lonely middle aged bloke with no friends :)
Thanks in advance
Neville

The Route Napoleon/Gorges du Verdon and maybe even the Parc Vercors is a very nice run back. I did that run last year and it was great. But even better is the Routes des Grandes Alpes, which starts up near Thonon then runs straight across some of the best passes of the alps, which are incredibly scenic, and finishes in Menton. Then you can go across to St Tropez, up the Route napoleon, detour off to the gorges du verdon and maybe head across to the Dordogne.

Here is my trip report from last year

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74689&highlight=napoleon+vercors

The Route Napoleon/Gorges du Verdon and maybe even the Parc Vercors is a very nice run back. I did that run last year and it was great. But even better is the Routes des Grandes Alpes, which starts up near Thonon then runs straight across some of the best passes of the alps, which are incredibly scenic, and finishes in Menton. Then you can go across to St Tropez, up the Route napoleon, detour off to the gorges du verdon and maybe head across to the Dordogne.

Here is my trip report from last year

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74689&highlight=napoleon+vercors

looks excellent and I could reverse the route to fit my visiting plans. Don't suppose you have garmin version of the route do you?

Anyone travelling south end of 1st week in July?

Get hold of a copy of 'Special Places to Stay' by Alasdair Sawday,,,take it with you and stay at a few....like a 16th C chateau with genuine furniture/fittings etc...owners loves bikes, his son rides a BM for the princely sum of about £25 pppn B and B.....worth its weight in gold. Never had a bad place and we've stayed at loads...try the Lot Valley as well as or instead of the somewhat busier Dordogne

The Dordogne river gorges were nice today, but a little hot at 31 C.
100_2544.jpg

Back
Top Bottom