Engine oil in Airbox blues

Grey Sickle

I have just bought a 50k miles gs1150 and find approx an egg cup of engine oil has come from the airbox when removing the drain plug. I read that they do use oil so is this where it goes, hence the drain plug? The bike makes good power and i have'nt seen it smoke, any thoughts much appreciated.

Check the oil level.It may have been overfilled.At 50K,it is just about run-in and should not be burning oil.
What oil do you use?.
Col.

clean the airbox, check the airfilter, change the oil filter, change to new oil.

if you still get oil in the airbox after - say 1000mls - then start worrying

Dont know what the oil is

Changing the oil and filter is the next job, i will use a 20/50 mineral, not sure what is in it at present. I will check the breather pipe also. Thanks for the replys

Just had test ride on a R100 this afternoon, lots of oil coming from the airbox. Compression OK though on both cylinders, what is the possible cause of so much oil coming from the crankcase? It was engine oil as it had that dark colour and smelt like engine oil.

Possibly a fecked breather valve on top of crankcases.
or overfilled and pushed excess out through same breather.
I still have an original fibre one on my R90s, sounds like a bird chirping:thumb2

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 178
Don't worry, it's either been over filled which will not (even though the user manual says it spells disaster) cause any problems at all or it has just never been removed before and it is simply 50k's worth of crank case mist :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom