Clutch problems...

Hedgehog

Hi all... a while since I 've been here :eek:

Riding to work last week the bike was still pulling like a train but at the end of a 40mile high speed trip I got a slipping clutch... same happened on the next 2 trips, couldn't get it to slip on a cold engine but it started spinning up just before I got to the destination. 4th trip it gave up the ghost (in the rain in the middle of nowhere)... bike's an 01 1150 with 80k on the clock... question is are there any other things to look for before I go for a total clutch change?... I've got the clutch kit but the size of the job looks a little out of my league :eek:

A pic with the starter motor off...

IMG_7989small.jpg

(so long since I was last here my account was deleted! :D )

clutch

its not a big deal changing the clutch, if you had meccano as a kid you should be able to manage it. I did mine when the input geabox bearing failed and it took two evenings, a trolley jack and a clymer manual (and much advice on the forum). Undo the gearbox bolts, with jack under gearbox, with rear subframe raised and wheel the lot back. swop clutch and bolt it all back.
Cheers
Hodge
P.S. I was as nervous as hell when I started but I was chuffed when I had completed it.:thumb2

Hi Hedgehog,i've recently replaced mine as well.
Its not exactly a quick and easy job to do but if you have reasonable mechanical skills,can follow the replacement procedures and have the correct tools you should be able to complete the job in a couple of days.
Depends if you want to check bearings,lube drive splines etc or just unbolt the gearbox from the rear end and remove the whole rear end.
Do you have a gasket for the clutch slave cylinder?.
There are hints/tips on here and ADVrider hall of wisdom.
At a BWM dealer,they will probably charge about £800 (inc parts) for the job.
Col.

Thanks... it's looking like I'm gonna have to have a crack at it myself... I'd forgotten about the gasket... anyone seen one online?

Back
Top Bottom